Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Around the world, is Direct TCP and WAP usually charged extra?

Hey, I'm looking at using TCP or WAP for my internet access for an app, since if the user has BIS, I cannot code for it since I am not an Alliance Member (and I believe everyone has TCP and WAP). But this is not an ideal situation, if as I've heard TCP and WAP are often charged as extra.

Anyone who knows about extra charges in different countries, that would be useful info to share.

Justin Dt.

Developer

Re: Around the world, is Direct TCP and WAP usually charged extra?

[ Edited ]

My favorite story so far is two hours of BitTorrent on roaming via an equivalent of Direct TCP/UDP = 3,500 USD.

Developer

Yes, it is charged extra, and rather highly too.

There are alternate unsupported and possibly frowned-upon means of getting BIS access without requiring Alliance membership available by searching, but I don't know how trackable this is and how easy it is for RIM to control; I suspect it might not be, especially if all you're making are HTTP transfers.

Developer
My Device: 8520, 8900, 9000, 9300, 9650, 9700, 9780, 9800, 9810, 9900, 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

ydaraishy wrote:

Yes, it is charged extra, and rather highly too.

There are alternate unsupported and possibly frowned-upon means of getting BIS access without requiring Alliance membership available by searching, but I don't know how trackable this is and how easy it is for RIM to control; I suspect it might not be, especially if all you're making are HTTP transfers.

Everything is in the service book. All you have to do is retrieve the proper setting to put in you connection string.

Developer
My Device: 8520, 8900, 9000, 9300, 9650, 9700, 9780, 9800, 9810, 9900, 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

klyubin wrote:

My favorite story so far is two hours of BitTorrent on roaming via an equivalent of Direct TCP/UDP = 3,500 USD.

You are you talking about? Someone has bittorrent running on the BB?

Developer

Perhaps RIM would consider making a Lite Alliance Membership available? Otherwise developers are costing BIS users money for downloads... J
Developer

BIS access to all is, as I understand it from other RIM posts, being considered.  With BIS push now being 'free' I can't see this being far behind, because you can now push to the device for free, but when you go to pick up some data, it will cost!

When I last applied for BIS-B, I told RIM what the target URL was (amongst other things).  I'm guessing that anything that is not going to an approved target URL may be blocked.

Re costs:

Just checked on Vodafone UK web site,  Business tariffs seem to include data charges,  Monthly consumer tariffs on the other hand charge £1 per day for 15 MB, £2 for each additional MB, with some quantity like 500 MB included.  I find the mobile phone plans very complicated to compare.....

Developer

I guess it's not data per se I'm concerned about, it is whether tcp and wap are counted as the same as bis or bes data, or if they are extra charges. My apps download from Flickr and from rss feeds. J. P.s. You're right, plans are hard to compare and to know what they really cost. That's why I wrote my first app which you could see at phonebillapp dot com. Thanks since you helped out. Pps. You seem to work hard from the times of your posts- are you based in NAmerica?
Developer

UK.  I mainly post while waiting for the Simulator to start!!!!!

And I think for Vodafone UK, BIS is included, the Data is just Direct and WAP. 

Developer

Ok. Curious to know what you think of my app. There's lots of docs on my site's 2nd link, and the app trial version can be found from the first link (mobihand). Let me know Smiley Happy