Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
c_yamamoto
My Device: BB 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Audio speaker issue after OS upgrade (bug)

Good morning,

I have a proprietary VoIP application that has been working properly on BB 9900 devices till last update (until version 7.1 bundle 1149 for sure).
After the devices are upgraded to the latest OS version (OS 7.1 Bundle 2061 - v.7.1.0.714, Platform 5.1.0.532), the application shows a serious issue.

The issue occurs when I'm in a VoIP call (full duplex audio) and I receive a normal call.

Implementation details: my class implements javax.microedition.media.PlayerListener and receives events in the playerUpdate() method.

This is what happens:
The speaker audio goes in DEVICE_UNAIVALABLE status when the system acquires the resource to play the normal call ringtone.
If I reject the normal call, my calls is notified with the DEVICE_AVAILABLE event and I can restart the internal audio speaker through this code:

Player _play = javax.microedition.media.Manager.createPlayer(_playerStreamDataSource);
_play.realize();
_play.prefetch();
_play.start();

Before the OS upgrade everything was ok, the internal audio speaker restarted successfully and the VoIP call could continue.
However after the OS update the prefetch() method always throws a "net.rim.device.internal.media.UnloadedMediaException" and sometimes "net.rim.device.internal.media.RimMediaException: Null Streaming Session Returned", preventing the audio speaker from restarting successfully.

From my application point of view this is a big issue, but the problem causes even more troubles if the user answers the normal call!
In this case the audio resource seems to crash and the user not only can't make VoIP calls but can't even perform normal calls! The user has then to remove the battery in order to perform a soft reset.

Were there any important changes in last update?
Is anyone able to suggest possible workaround to the issue?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Christian

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Audio speaker issue after OS upgrade (bug)

welcome to the support forums.

for bugs you can use JIRA, but don't get your hops up too high, most resources on RIM are commited to BB10.
https://www.blackberry.com/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa

there are a few other voip developers on the boards, maybe you can look for older threads about related topics, check who of them is still active and contact them. Aviator168 maybe.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
c_yamamoto
My Device: BB 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Audio speaker issue after OS upgrade (bug)

simon_hain

Thanks for your reply!

I saw many older thread before developing my VoIP app and I never had audio problems till last OS upgrade.. this issue seems due to a new OS upgrade. I reported the problem using JIRA as you suggest me.

I hope someone that experienced the same problem knows a workaround to solve this problem.

Christian

Please use plain text.