Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Automatically Dim Backlight

Do we do we have any control over the Automatically dim backlight "feature"? 
Developer

Re: Automatically Dim Backlight

Hi,

Please have a look at this class net.rim.device.api.system.Backlight

Regards,
Rajat Gupta.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If your problem was get solved then please mark the thread as "Accepted solution" and kudos - your wish
Developer

Unless something went wrong during my testing, it seems that none of the Backlight fuctions actually overides the "Automatically Dim Backlight" feature in Options.  If the autodim feature is on, even if I set the brightness or timeout to maximum.  It dims after about 3 seconds.

For my testing, I tilt the screen, it gets brighter, I run my program that set the brightness to 100 and timeout to 255 which is an acceptable time for my program.  The screen dims after 3 seconds.

If I go to "Options" "Automatically Dim Backlight" and turn it off, everything works great.  I see information on the forums about setting a timer event for every 255 seconds to keep that backlight on, but that is a different issue and I do not believe that takes care of the Autodim feature that seems to fire every 3 seconds.

So far it seems that touch events or key events do not keep the autodim feature from firing.  Only tilting the screen keeps the screen at full brightness.

I don't like autodim, so I turn it off.  But I was hoping there was I Java solution I could implement for my application, but it doesn't appear to be a simple solution. So far the only thing I can think of is try to fire some sort of tilt screen event that doesn't actually tilt the screen and put it on a timer for every 3 seconds.

Developer

I thought I would re-visit this issue one more time.

Unless something went wrong during my testing, it seems that none of the Backlight fuctions actually overides the "Automatically Dim Backlight" feature in Options.  If the autodim feature is on, even if I set the brightness or timeout to maximum.  It dims after about 3 seconds.

I see information on the forums about setting a timer event for every 255 seconds to keep that backlight on, but that is a different issue and I do not believe that takes care of the Autodim feature that seems to fire every 3 seconds.

So far it seems that touch events or key events do not keep the autodim feature from firing. 

Am I freaking out or missing something or is this another function RIM needs to give us access to?

Developer
Developer
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook

I don't think you can change the brightness of the autodim. But have you tried using Backlight.isBrightnessConfigurable() and then just using Backlight.setBrightness() and calling it repeatedly. But if I may ask, why would you want to adjust the brightness? People will probably have the brightness set to where they want it to compromise between readability and battery drain. Or is this an app for your personal use?
Developer

I should have kept a record of everything I tried, I'm pretty sure I tried it, but if you think it works I will try again.

I wanted to start with someting simple for my first app, but something a lot of people would use, so I created Radical Flashlight.

For users I save and reset the screen brightness to their setting.  But Automatically dim backlight is a pain.  Personally I hate Autodim and like to set the screen at a reasonable brightness and timeout, and turn autodim off.  I don't know about everyone else, but my backlight will even auto dim while I'm typing or performing touch events.

Thanks for the responce!

Developer

I checked one more time, just to make sure. Backlight.enable and Backlight.setBrightness do not seem to affect the Autodim feature.

After more testing, I understand the Autodim even less. I can set the phone down and not touch it, sometimes autodim triggers, sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes autodim goes off and the screen gets brighter, sometimes it doesn't?  Sometimes exiting my program turns autodim off, sometimes it doesn't.  Has anyone else experimented with Autodim on the phone to see what triggers it?

Developer
Developer

Autodim reacts to ambient light.
Developer

Sweet, I learned something!  I believe you are correct, Autodim reacts to light.

Thanks!

I will give this thread a little while longer.  But if no one else knows how to override Autodim Backlight, I will assume there is no way to over ride it and mark this as solved..

Developer

I checked out trying to control AutoDim through the light sensor, no luck what so ever. I tested all the Backlight functions too.

The answer to, "do we have control over the Automatically DIm Backlight" is no.