Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
gatestown
My Device: Bold 9650
Accepted Solution

BB App "Check for Updates"

Can anyone tell me how or point me to a forum discussion on setting up a blackberry app to check for updates of newer versions?  I have an app with a "Check For Updates" menu option as well as an established web site.  It is Windows hosting and PHP 5.  Any suggestions?

Developer
RexDoug
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BB App "Check for Updates"

Are you already distributing the app OTA on this site?

You might try getting the JAD file via HTTP GET, parse the JAD to determine the version number, and compare this with the current version of the application.  If the version on the server is newer, you could launch the browser and point to the the JAD file URL, which triggers the OTA download sequence.

Developer
gatestown

This is a new app so the OTA install is still being worked on.  Files are on the site but some configs are still needed.  I'm not sure what is meant by your statement below:

... getting the JAD file via HTTP GET, parse the JAD to determine the version number, and compare this with the current version of the application.  If the version on the server is newer, you could launch the browser and point to the the JAD file URL, which triggers the OTA download sequence.

Could you elaborate a bit please?

Developer
gatestown

Ideas anyone?

This is a new app so the OTA install is still being worked on.  Files are on the site but some configs are still needed.  I'm not sure what is meant by your statement below:

... getting the JAD file via HTTP GET, parse the JAD to determine the version number, and compare this with the current version of the application.  If the version on the server is newer, you could launch the browser and point to the the JAD file URL, which triggers the OTA download sequence.

Could you elaborate a bit please?

Developer
RexDoug

[ Edited ]

Here it is, as simple as I can explain it:

You can retrieve the JAD file from your OTA server using an HTTP GET call.

The JAD file is just a text file. Within this file is the version of the program.

<snip from JAD file>

Manifest-Version: 1.0
MIDlet-Version: 1.0.3        <---- Version is here
MIDlet-Jar-Size: 484590

Parse the file, extract the version of the program, and compare this with the version of the code running live on the device.

If the version on the server is newer, launch the browser to the URL of the JAD file, which will trigger the application download logic on the device.

Developer
peter_strange

Alternatively you can manage it all yourself:

How to - Programmatically install and upgrade applications
Article Number: DB-00763
http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/800620/How_to_...