Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

BB Jam 10 - the way for java developers seems clear to me

Hello fellow java developers,

even though technically off-topic i wanted to share my experiences from the recent BB JAM 10 in Orlando, with a focus on me being a java developer for blackberry.

Despite being sceptical initially, RIM really managed to sell cascades to me.

The native project will have three main abstraction layers: C++, Qt, Cascades.

Writing the UI in Cascades is really easy, and you see all changes in the live preview. You can also access all c++/Qt functions and write own functions in a javascript derivate code which is very very easy to learn.

Below that you have Qt with many existing structures, and if you want it more complicated direct c++.

My last c++ "experience" is quite some years back (University), but i was able to get the core concepts in the labs i attended rather quickly, and with the correct design you can avoid pointers and memory management completly.

It is a bit early to assess it completly, but i shared this impression with several other java developers:

Migrating to Android is not that easy as many concepts are different, migrating to Cascades/Qt will probably be a similar effort.

As soon as the sessions become available online i can suggest to check DEV 129 - Building BBM (something like that) where a RIM lead developer speaks about how they designed and built the new BBM.

I can also suggest to attend one of the BB JAM 10 roadshow events where the same sessions will be presented AND you will get a DevAlpha BB 10 device: See http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/05/blackberry-10-jam-road-show/

My colleagues will most likely go to the Berlin event to grab their device.

The session quality was quite high, and you don't get marketing people talking circles, but real RIM developers from the field sharing their experiences.

If you release a BB 10 app before the launch (and get it certified) your DevAlpha device will be exchanged to a release device as soon as that is available.

Also check out the revenue incentive: If your app is certified and gets $1k in revenue within one year RIM will pay you the difference to $10k, basically guaranteeing you the success of your app (read more about that on  http://crackberry.com/certified-quality-apps-coming-blackberry-app-world-along-10000-incentive-build... )

The success of us developers depends on customers buying the device, of course. But the incentive for customers buying is also a good number of available applications, and the developers being on board on launch will most likely get the most out of it.

Even if your company (if there is any) does not want to support BB 10 - take a look yourself. 

Feel free to ask me questions about BB JAM 10, the sessions, the alpha device, Cascades etc.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
Kshmire
My Device: Anything that goes up from JDE 6.0

Re: BB Jam 10 - the way for java developers seems clear to me

Hi simon,

I'm looking forward to going to my city session and I'm intrigued about the alpha device.
Have they told you if it will have normal functions like calling etc enabled soon?
In which way do you think it's different from BlackBerry Java development as the Android one?
What have they said about sharing all their APIs to developers with this new OS?

Thanks for your kindness.
Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

Good to know. I have yet to really play with Cascades but those who I know have, have said it's great. My questions for you, in regard to the $10k deal; that certified != approved, correct? Also, does this apply to all apps or just Cascades apps?

Looking forward to my city tour as well.
---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain

There are no exact dates, but it was said that the device will be updated regularly.
Rumors say that the next update will hit in 3 weeks and may already contain call functionality, but as you know everybody who could say something about that is bound by NDA at least...

I am not sure i understand your second question, maybe you can clarify it.

Open source is quite new to RIM, but they have some very passionate people working on it and seem to be very truthful to their new philosophy.
Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart, the senior director for open source, attended BB JAM 10, you can find him all over the net, for example on http://openbbnews.wordpress.com/

I also attended a workshop about the new invocation framework where a senior developer stated that RIM applications will use the same APIs as we developers.
Of course some internal apps like BBM will most likely have internal APIs that are not usable for everybody, but overall the approach of RIM doing stuff we cannot do seems to be over.
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain

certification will be handled by a third party. the exact guidelines are not yet public, but you are correct that an application that is accepted by RIM is not automatically also certified.

as far as i understood this deal it covers all applications developed for BB 10, and not applications already available for PlayBook.
I guess that means cascades, but i did not see any specific guidelines for that as well, maybe we'll have to await a further announcement.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

Ok, good to know.
---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

My guess is that the certification will be for BB10 apps using Cascades (Native), or the look-alike bbui.js stuff (WebWorks) or the new beta for the AIR ("fuse") controls (also Cascades look-alikes, as I understand it).

I also expect to see a fairly "heavy" set of requirements for the certification, including attention to detail on such things as power consumption, use of native BB10 UI characteristics (e.g. top-swipe menu for context help or settings), proper integration with the system where appropriate, and maybe even some attention to associated materials (app icons, app world description, maybe even web site to go with it).

Worth also noting the certification for the $10K revenue guarantee will not be free, though they simply don't have all the details for that defined yet.

Simon, are you sure you got the "certification" part right for the Alpha-swap-with-BB10-phone part of this? I recall the certification thing mentioned only in conjunction with the $10K guarantee.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain

entirely possible that the exchange part targets all developers that publish an application, it is difficult to get more details on that.
if they seed 10k devices and get 10k calculator-apps on launch the number will still look impressive.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Too true, though I'm really hoping what we heard at the Jam indicates a transition to a greater focus on quality than quantity...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
heynow
My Device: Not Specified

Any word on if the C++ support is the new C++11 standard or the older standard?

Please use plain text.