Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
asmq
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BB Storm GPS

Would the same settings work on Bold on Verizon?
Developer
haagmm

there is no CDMA bold.  Though the question is a good one, has anyone tryed these settings with the OS 4.5 8330 / 8830?  these the mystical make GPS work on verizon settings?
Developer
idonen

We did try them on a curve a few days ago (8330 I think that is?) and they did not work. Not sure of the exact OS right now, but I think it was 4.5.something. Don't know about Bold on Verizon, or if there even is such a beast.
New Developer
criccomini

I am trying idonen's verizon settings on storm in 2h.. will post results.
BlackBerry/Mobile Enthusiast - http://www.riccomini.name
New Developer
criccomini

IT WORKS!! SWEET!! IT WORKS!!

It is also extremely accurate < 100 meters.

The biggest change that helped get this going was setging cost allowed to false. For whatever reason, this had a huge affect. Also, playing with the power level makes a big difference as well.

I will write a blog entry and tag it to this forum post in the coming week or so.

BlackBerry/Mobile Enthusiast - http://www.riccomini.name
New Developer
devguy

It does not work here...

My code:

Criteria criteria = new Criteria(); criteria.setAddressInfoRequired(false); criteria.setAltitudeRequired(false); criteria.setCostAllowed(false); criteria.setSpeedAndCourseRequired(false); criteria.setHorizontalAccuracy(Criteria.NO_REQUIREMENT); criteria.setVerticalAccuracy(Criteria.NO_REQUIREMENT); LocationProvider locProvider = LocationProvider.getInstance(criteria); if (locProvider != null) { Location loc = locProvider.getLocation(150); ... }

I'm hating Verizon  + Storm!!! :smileysad:

Developer
idonen

Try explicity setting the power consumption:

criteria.setPreferredPowerConsumption(Criteria.POWER_USAGE_MEDIUM);

New Developer
devguy

Tried that idoen...nothing changed :smileysad:
Developer
haagmm

devguy try increasing your time out, or using -1.  You might just not be hitting any satellites.  What errors are you seeing?
New Developer
devguy

I'm starting to suspect that it's not the GPS that doesn't work, but the code that sends the retrieved coords by SMS. I'm suspectng this because if the GPS location fails, my app should send a SMS anyway, but it doesn't...

My SMS code is as follows:

_mc = (MessageConnection)Connector.open("sms://:0"); TextMessage smsCoords = (TextMessage) _mc.newMessage(MessageConnection.TEXT_MESSAGE, address); smsCoords.setPayloadText(infoText); _mc.send(smsCoords);

Do you see anything wrong with this? Of course, it works fine with all phones except for Verizon Storm...