Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Vodafone

BBM APIs

Hi All,

After researching after a while I've reached the conclusion that there are currently no APIs for BBM 5.0. This means that there is no way that I can integrate my application with BlackBerry Messenger.

My question is, even if there were APIs, would RIM ever allow applications to delete BBM contacts programmatically?

The reason I'm asking is because I just launched my application and some competition is claiming that its a "virus that deletes BBM contacts". I know that is absolutely impossible and I was hoping that someone could confirm that.

Thank you

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BBM APIs

I don't believe that this is possible, without a RIM-specific signing key (not available to 3rd party developers).

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Pretty sure you can't do anything to BBM specifically, though there are API's to use the underlying protocols outside of BBM.

Given that you can't listen or send BBM messages it seems unlikely you'd be able to delete contacts. Though you could use keyboard events perhaps.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

There is no way for a third party application to delete contacts from BlackBerry Messenger.  Such APIs do not currently exist.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker