Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
zaeem
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

BBM Listener

I am trying to listen for BBM messages. I have used SessionRequestListener to listen for the request but no success.

any help?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Re: BBM Listener

You can't listen to BBM messages that are not directed to you.  Sorry that doesn't make much sense, so let us look quickly at how a Session is intended to be used.  You create a Session, then you invite other BBM users to join that Session.  When they join you can now chat to each other using that session.  But anything else that the BBM user does, that is not related to your session, will be invisible to you.

I am not aware of a listener that will hear all BBM chat messages.  It would actually surprise me if this was possible to do. 

Please use plain text.
New Developer
zaeem

thanks for the reply.

Actually what I am trying to build is BBM logger. When ever a user starts chatting my app will log it.Just like SMS and email api allows you to listen for in/out traffic. Kindly let me know if it is not possible for an app to listen general BBM traffic.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

" Kindly let me know if it is not possible for an app to listen general BBM traffic."

Sorry, I thought I had already answered this.  Not as far as I am aware and it would surprise me if there was.  But I suggest you review the Javadoc yourself.  Are there any methods in there that you think might work?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jpae
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: tmobile

"You can't listen to BBM messages that are not directed to you. " does this mean that you can listen to messages directed at the session initiator ? I understand that you cant listen to all chat however is there any BBM chat that can be logged ? many thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

I attempted to clarify that sentence in the post.  As I noted at the time, it is completely accurate but does not make much sense. 

You can start a BBM connected application and within that application, have a chat to other users of the same application.  This is the only chat that the application will see.  Any other chat, whether it is directed to another BBM connected application or to BBM itself, is invisible. 

Is that clearer?

Please use plain text.