Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
RichardSterne
My Device: Developer
Accepted Solution

BBM SDK - How to get simulators communicating?

[ Edited ]

Suffice to say I'm struggling quite a bit with my foray into BlackBerry development. In trying to get the SDK sample apps (platformdemo and  tictactoe) working, I fear I've taken a step backwards.

You see, I initially had it set up so that two BlackBerry simulators could message each other using BBM.

Now, that no longer works, and I simply can't figure out why. Why would the BBM communication not work?

I'm running:

• BBM SDK Beta 4_03_10_2011
  • BlackBerry_Simulators_6.0.0.313_9800
  • MDS v3.5.3 (I've verified that this is running correctly, downloaded the unlimited strength encryption policy jars etc.
  • Java JDK v1.6.0_25 (JRE v6)
I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything, including Java. I run the MDS first using this command line:
"run.bat" -log.console.dump -feature "bbm,keynego,monitor,servicebook,cmimep2p,ep2p,registration,ippp,http,httpm,httpc,httpcm,defaulthandler" -webconfig all

then start up the simulators using the included sim1.bat and sim2.bat files:
@echo off
fledge.exe /app=Jvm.dll /handheld=9800 /session=Sim1 /app-param=JvmAlxConfigFile:9800.xml /data-port=0x4d44 /data-port=0x4d4e /pin=0x2100000A /app-param=regVersion=3 /app-param=regDestIP=127.0.0.1 /app-param=regDestPort=19785 /app-param=regSrcPort=19788 /app-param=DisableSyncServiceRecord /title="BlackBerry 9800-1 Simulator"

Sim2:

@echo off
fledge.exe /app=Jvm.dll /handheld=9800 /session=Sim2 /app-param=JvmAlxConfigFile:9800.xml /data-port=0x4d44 /data-port=0x4d4e /pin=0x2100000B /app-param=regVersion=3 /app-param=regDestIP=127.0.0.1 /app-param=regDestPort=19785 /app-param=regSrcPort=19789 /app-param=DisableSyncServiceRecord /title="BlackBerry 9800-2 Simulator"

What could be going wrong?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that both simulators can connect to the Internet via the browser (which they cannot do when the MDS is not running properly) but cannot see each other on BBM after adding each other as contacts using the provided pins (2100000A and 2100000B).

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
RichardSterne
My Device: Developer

Re: BBM SDK - How to get simulators communicating?

For anyone interested, I managed to solve my own problem.

I have no idea why, but previously I could simply add a new contact, put in their BBM pin and they would show up on my contacts list within BBM, ready for me to start a chat with them.

This time, I had to take a screenshot of simulator 1's QR code, save it out in Photoshop, then use that image on simulator 2 to invite simulator 1.

For some reason, this allowed the contacts to see each other. I don't own a BlackBerry so I have no idea but I really can't imagine this is the way it's supposed to work since it requires both users to be in the same physical location. However, it's the only way I could get it working and it proves that the rest of my setup (MDS) and so on, is correct.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ozma
My Device: 9550

hi, im stuck on the same problem

has anyone solve this ?

tq

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

You need to follow the instructions precisely and use the MDS provided and it seems to work OK.  Sometimes it takes a while for the Simulators to see each other, try to get a BBM chat going first if that is the problem. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ozma

@peter

thx for the answer..

I have tried everything, but still no luck..

May i know your configuration in run.bat (MDS folder) ?

thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

[ Edited ]

Not sure how that will help.  Note I am using BBM 1.2 because I don't need any later features.  Anyway, here it is:

@ECHO OFF

set JAVA_EXE=tools\jdk\bin\java.exe

pushd Servers\MDS1

REM For simulator with BBM and Browsing support:
REM run.bat -feature "bbm,keynego,servicebook,ep2p"
REM

REM For simulator Browsing support:
REM run.bat
REM

IF NOT EXIST %JAVA_EXE% SET JAVA_EXE=java
start "MDS" cmd /v:smileysurprised:n /k %JAVA_EXE% -classpath ..\..\classpath\*;..\..\webserver\lib\*;"%JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\deploy.jar" -Xmx512M -Djava.endorsed.dirs=..\..\classpath\endorsed -DKeystore.Password=password net.rim.application.ipproxyservice.IPProxyServiceApplication -log.console.dump -feature "bbm,keynego,servicebook,ep2p" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

popd

Edit;

Try the Browser in your Simualtors.  If this is working in both, then that generally means that the MDS is working. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ozma

@peter

same here, i'm not sure what i'm doing LOL :smileyvery-happy:

I have exactly the same configuration as yours,

i tried execute the run.bat (MDS) with and without following command :

run.bat -log.console.dump -feature "bbm,keynego,monitor,servicebook,cmimep2p,ep2p,registration,ippp,http,httpm,htt pc,httpcm,defaulthandler" -webconfig all

sim1.bat

@echo off
fledge.exe /app=Jvm.dll /handheld=9800 /session=Sim1 /app-param=JvmAlxConfigFile:9800.xml /data-port=0x4d44 /data-port=0x4d4e /pin=0x2100000A /app-param=regVersion=3 /app-param=regDestIP=127.0.0.1 /app-param=regDestPort=19781 /app-param=regSrcPort=19780 /app-param=DisableSyncServiceRecord=true /app-param=IPPPSourcePort:25601

sim2.bat

@echo off
fledge.exe /app=Jvm.dll /handheld=9800 /session=Sim2 /app-param=JvmAlxConfigFile:9800.xml /data-port=0x4d44 /data-port=0x4d4e /pin=0x2100000B /app-param=regVersion=3 /app-param=regDestIP=127.0.0.1 /app-param=regDestPort=19781 /app-param=regSrcPort=19782 /app-param=DisableSyncServiceRecord=true /app-param=IPPPSourcePort:25602

Well, both simulator can connect to internet, but fail to add each other in bbm contact

i dont know what the problem..

i'm running this simulator & MDS on :

win7 64 bit

java 1.6 upd 34

Do i miss something ?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

"Do i miss something ?"

Not that I am aware of. 

Just to confirm, you are running the MDS supplied with the SDK?

I am using Java 1.6 update 26 (it works, I don't want to update it), 32 bit, I have a memory of having had to apply some security update to it, but all is in the instructions. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ozma

yes,

i download sdk 1.3 and run with following spec :

MDS v 3.5.3

BBM v 5.0.1.4.1

BB simulator 9800 ( i'm using simulator from eclipse plugins )

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

[ Edited ]

Sorry I can't confirm any of these since I am using BBM 1.2. 

Rather than continue a "Solved" Thread, I suggest that you start your own Thread.  But before starting it, go through the install again, making sure you follow the instructions and that you are using a 32 bit java. 

Sorry I can't help more. 

Please use plain text.