Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
vjkmr
My Device: 9900 - OS 7.0 Torch device

BBM Tracking and responds back with Thirdparty application

Hi All

I need to track the BBM messages received by  device like SMS,E-Mail tracking. Once after I received message, I need to give back the response with BBM integrated with my Application. I hope this could be possible by using listeners. If anybody having so specific knowledge on this, Requesting you to share with me.

Please share any idea related to this would be appreciated. I am still searching for this, but I could not get sofar.

Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BBM Tracking and responds back with Thirdparty application

Short answer - not possible.

Longer answer, with some clarificaions here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/BBM-Listener/m-p/1423079

Developer
vjkmr
My Device: 9900 - OS 7.0 Torch device

Re: BBM Tracking and responds back with Thirdparty application

Hi Peter

Thanks !!  for your support 

I saw the  provided link to get more clarity. But still I have doubt from statment 'You can't listen to BBM messages that are not directed to you.  Sorry that doesn't make much sense.' I could not really understand what does it not make sense. Since we are able to track the email/text messages, same kind of operations should possible even with BBM. If we talk about the 'Security', the same should apply for all the areas of tracking. Why it is so specific for this BBM.

Requesting you to be more explanative. So that I do analyze myself what are possible security concerned features of BB.

Sorry If my question is meaning less. Here I have one more doubt as there are listeners like  'FolderLister'. By using the Folder Listener, Can't we find the messages received by BBM ? Because I have tested the email/text message tracking to check myself whether It can be possible by using FolderListener.

Please suggest me if there are any other alternative to achieve this.

Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BBM Tracking and responds back with Third party application

"Since we are able to track the email/text messages, same kind of operations should possible even with BBM. "

Sorry it is not.  

As noted below, the fact that you can do things with email and SMS does not mean you should be able to do them with BBM. .  

"Why it is so specific for this BBM."

You will have to ask RIM that for a detailed answer, but the answer I have been given is that they want BBM to be a more secure platform.  Remember that email or text messages are passed, in the clear, over external networks, so there are plenty of potential places that a 'hacker' could gain access to these.  So most people do not treat email or SMS as a secure method of communication.  But RIM want people to treat BBM as secure.  And BBM messages are never passed in clear, anywhere people can pick it up. 

"By using the Folder Listener, Can't we find the messages received by BBM "

No.  

"Please suggest me if there are any other alternative to achieve this."

There is currently no way to achieve this.  I'm not saying there never will be, and if you really need this, then put a business case to RIM.  But the currently provided API does not allow you to do this. 

Since you have searched, you will have found that this question gets asked regularly.  The answer has always been this is not possible.  If this was not true, don't you think RIM would have actually corrected at least one of these?