Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
bbdevguy
My Device: Not Specified

BBM apps pre-production environment?

I have a BBM socially connected app that I would like to beta test with a small audience. The BBM SDK documentation mentions "the BBM pre-production environment" where you can "test your BBM
connected app with a small beta community before you release it through the BlackBerry App World"

Where is that "BBM pre-production environment" and how can I get my app on it?

Retired
rmasroor
My Device: BlackBerry 8520

Re: BBM apps pre-production environment?

Hey bbdevguy,

When you launch your application with a generated UUID, you are already in a pre-production environment. Your UUID which you generate is something like a test liscence which gets logged in our BBM servers. Just to note that with your UUID, there are some conditions:

1) It is valid for 180 days

2) It is only avaiable for 100 users

3) Your app can only communicate with other users, if they have the app version with the same UUID.

If your UUID expires, you will need to regenerate a new UUID to being a new phase of pre-production testing. Just to note, users will also need to update their app to the new UUID so that they can start communicating with each other.

Once you submit your application into app world, we generate a hash code based on you application modules and app world id.

Let me know if there are any follow up questions, and I will be more than happy to answer them for you.

Raihan Masroor
BlackBerry Development Advisor
Developer
bbdevguy

Thanks for the reponse, Raihan.

Do I have to change the GUID before submitting to App World? I have tested on several devices in an in-house beta and am wondering if a new GUID is needed so that the BBM servers do not confuse the beta with the real thing.

"Once you submit your application into app world, we generate a hash code based on you application modules and app world id."

Is this hash code anything that we need to know about or embed in our applications in any way, or is it for App World-internal use only?

Retired
rmasroor

Hey,

No you do not have to worry about the hash code,

Hash code generated based on the module of your application and the app id in AW by our BBM servers. As long as you are submitting your application under the same app vendor and app name as it's predecessor, you won't have to worry about any issues.

If you use a different vendor, or a different application account with a different version, then your app will be treated differently as it will be assigned a new App ID by AW.

I hope I have cleared your doubt. Let me know if I haven't.

Raihan Masroor
New Contributor
scepollo
My Device: 9900

Hello, Raihan.

Your post has cleared-up some questions we have about our app which arose earlier today.  However, our app is in AppWorld and we are working on the next version of it.  Neither the vendor ID nor the app name has changed, however we want to continue our dev.  We have been receiving the notification that our app has expired (with respect to BBM); do we need a new GUID to continue development for the new version?  We will have to use a different GUID for our dev testing but I would like to know whether we need to use the new one when we submit to AppWorld.

Thank you very much! :smileyhappy:

- Stu

Retired
rmasroor

Hey,

If your "UUID" has expried, just generate a new one and continue your development effort. Once you have completed your development, just submit your application to App World, under the same vendor, and Application name. You do not have to switch back to your old UUID at the time of App World submission as UUID is irrelevant to us once your application is in production.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Raihan Masroor
Developer
peter_strange

Can I just register a vote to drop this automatic approach to creating an ID for the Application. 

I would much rather just have a UUID that I know be used.  If it is created/assigned the first time a BBM app is added to App World, that is fine by me.  If I know what the ID is, then I can change the Application name and still talk.  Or if I want two different Applications talking to each other via BBM, I can do it.  Or if I want to release a new version of the same App that will not talk to old version, I can do that too. 

In my opinion, this automatic approach makes it more complicated for developers by hiding what is going on. 

Just my opinion.

Retired
rmasroor

Hey Peter,

Thanks for the awesome suggestion. I will talk to our dev teams about this.

Let met know if you guys need anything else.

Cheers!

Raihan Masroor
New Contributor
fk_xiang
My Device: 9900, Playbook

Hi Raihan,

Thank you for your information, now I understand what's the pre-production & UUID thing, UUID is only being used for pre-production, and before AppWorld accept my app, it will be in pre-production mode.

Also, It means we can't release any other public build before AppWorld approve our new version, since our build will use this pre-production environment.

and i happen to read this document :

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/ww_services/bbm_sdk_for_ww_1878476_11.html

* An app expires after 180 days. Once expired, your app no longer has access to the BBM platform services in the pre-production environment. After you submit your app, or app version, to BlackBerry App World, the expiry that is associated with the app's UUID is removed.

The last sentence is sooo misleading. I thought after being approved by AppWorld, the UUID expiry is removed, or is it just me misunderstand this sentence ?

Thx's

Retired
rmasroor

Hey,

I agree with you that the statement is misleading and we are having our documentation team reclarify that statment. The expiry in regards to the UUID is not removed, but once your app is in App World, the App World version will not expire.

Hope all is well.

Raihan Masroor