Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
gopi_riar
My Device: blackberry curve 9300
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

BIS and GPRS plan issues...

hello .....   

I am using blackberry curve 9300 ... 6.0 bundle and

I m sending a http request from my application ... i have BIS plan activated on my vodafone sim.. But the problem is when i m sending its apn "blackberry.net "with the url ... it shows me net.rim.tcp-OPsx -7 in the event log ...

This is the code to set connection:-

ConnectionFactory conFactory = new ConnectionFactory();
HttpConnection connection = (HttpConnection)conFactory.getConnection(url+";apn=balckberry.net").getConnection();

And in same application when i  set "www" as apn with url then it give me response code 200.  ...it  is using gprs..

The amount 0.10 paise is withdrawn from my balance every time when i send a request ....

I want to use BIS...

Is this so,, ??? that BIS plan doesn't provide to fire an http request.. ???or any other thing i have to set.. 

and also when i paste the same url on browser .. it also give me response...

So. can anyone tell me about BIS ...

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BIS and GPRS plan issues...

Look for the many references to BIS-B, basically to use it you need to be told how and to find out how you need to be a RIM partner with an approrpaite level.  Or use the 'back door':

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Sample-HTTP-Connection-code-and-BIS-B-Access...

Please use plain text.
Developer
mayureshg
My Device: 9550

[ Edited ]

I agree with what said.

If you are using it in India please also check with your service provider reagarding BIS. I hope you have did it already.

/*********************************************************************/
Please press the like button on the right side to thank me if my reply helped you and please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
Please use plain text.
Developer
mayureshg
My Device: 9550

[ Edited ]

/*********************************************************************/
Please press the like button on the right side to thank me if my reply helped you and please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
Please use plain text.
Developer
gopi_riar

[ Edited ]

yes i have checked it.... But it is not working

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

OK so your Service Provider allows BIS-B - but are you allowed to use it?  If you do not know the answer to this question, then you are not. 

I suggest you review the following which will explain the various methods available for you to connect.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Networking-Transports-II/ta-p/446742

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Different-ways-to-make-an-HTTP-or-socket-con...

And I suggest you review the way you are using ConnectionFactory because this is not correct. 

ConnectionFactory conFactory = new ConnectionFactory();
HttpConnection connection = (HttpConnection)conFactory.getConnection(url+";apn=balckberry.net").getConnection();

You do not provide a connection suffix to ConnectionFactory, it decides what to use itself. 

Having done all this research, I suspect you will be able to sort out your connection problems yourself.  If not, then please come back to us. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
gopi_riar

Actually Re: BIS and GPRS plan issues...

[ Edited ]

i have added "ConnectionType=mdspublic" to the url with deviceside=false

now its working ...

thanks peter_strange and also to mayureshg

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Re: Actually Re: BIS and GPRS plan issues...

I must admit that the network video I pointed you at is the best explanation I have seen, so I don't think I can do any better.

You have to be very clear with your terms when discussing this sort of thing.  The actual wireless network, GPRS, GSM, 3G, CDMA etc, is not relevant.  These are all ways of getting the Blackberry talking to the wireless network.  So this is how the Blackberry talks to the wireless network, it does not help regarding how the Blackberry uses the wireless network to them communicate to real Web Services.  You need to specify the gateway from the wireless network to the 'real' internet to allow the BlackBerry to do this.  This you specify using the Connection String at the end of the URL.  . 

The point is that there are various ways of connecting to the real internet,-  i.e. connecting to a specific gateway - and the method your connection will use is specified by the connection suffix you add to the URL. 

So your application will use one connection method (i.e. on connection suffix), the one you choose.  But the Browser can use a different connection methods, and the Browser will almost certainly specify a different connection suffix to yours.  That is why the Browser can work while your application may not be able to connect - because it knows what connection method to use.  In fact, the Browser can also use BIS-B, which you do not have access too, giving it better access (and free access too probably, depending on the plan).  While you don't have access to BIS-B, there is a back door to accessing this method, as I have already told you. 

I recommend that you use ConnectionFactory, then you do not have to worry about which connection method is being used (Ii.e.. which connection suffix to add).  ConnectionFactory will find a connection method that works for you.  But, don't ask ConnectionFactory to try BIS-B until you know that you can use it and how to specify it. 

And I recommend that you review the video I pointed you at and the KB article too, make sure you understand these, so that you understand what is going on.  If you have specific question on either of these, feel free to ask. 

Please use plain text.