Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
fsa3
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Background Thread + UI App

I plan on building an application with the following general behavior:

• A background thread that starts with the device and is "always running".
  • A UI for changing some basic settings related to how the thread behaves. 
  • When the UI is closed the thread stays running.
  • A single download / installation.

I found the following link:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&message.id=18072&query.id=33...

This is very similar to what I want to do, what's not clear to me is wether or not treating this like two applications will allow me to have a single download and installation.  Also, in general is this considered the best practice for this type of App?  Is there an alternative?

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
Developer

Re: Background Thread + UI App

Yes, this will be a good way to divide your app in two applications. one for running thread and another for UI. You can easily downlaod your these two apps in one download whether it will be thru OTA or Desktop installation.

Press the kudos button to thank the user who helped you.

If your problem was get solved then please mark the thread as "Accepted solution".

Deepesh Gupta
Please use plain text.
Developer
fsa3

Can you provide a little more detail on how two applications (executables) can be part of one OTA download / install?
Please use plain text.
Developer

In .alx file, you can entry for multiple cod files in <files> tag. In .jad file you need to make entry for both the cod files.

If your problem was get solved then please mark the thread as "Accepted solution".

Deepesh Gupta
Please use plain text.
Developer
fsa3

Thanks a bunch.

One last question I'd like to just clarify (so I dont make a dumb mistake) - this would be 2 seperate projects in eclipse correct? Then when I'm ready to to deploy I'd manipulate the deployment files as you mentioned - correct?

Please use plain text.
Developer

I am not sure about all the settings required for this in eclipse. You can use JDE and set thread app as background auto start app and you can also set main() arguments here.

Deepesh Gupta
Please use plain text.