Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Storm 9500
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

Backup Flash memory

I have made a application that stores information in flash-memory. Is it possible to backup the BB flash-memory. Because if I install an update of the device software the flash-memory is wiped-out and I lose my information.
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Backup Flash memory

Hi there!

While I'm not a developer (they all hang out in another section of these forums -- http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/?category.id=BlackBerryDevelopment), I would think that your application would need to perform the backup of it's volitile data to either Device Memory or to the Media Card. I am pretty sure it is possible -- BBMessenger allows the backup of the BBM contacts to the Media Card -- I've simply no idea how to accomplish it, but I am pretty sure that it's a function of the application to perform the backup of it's own data from this memory area.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? click here and also here. Please click here for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

when you create a complete backup of your device using Desktop Manager, you can backup the content of the device memory (including your application data).

but the best way is to allow the user to choose the storage location, for example on the media card as sdgardne was advising you.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Developer
My Device: Storm 9500
My Carrier: Vodafone

I have tried this (full backup) but the data of my application were gone. Even so I had to enter again the initial unlock-code of the application.

Is there a way to see (like in a windows explorer) what data/files ar in flash-memory?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Your application needs to implement the synchronization APIs in order for its data to be backed up and restored through Desktop Manager or a BlackBerry Enterprise Server.  Have a look at the link below and the otabackuprestoredemo sample included with the BlackBerry JDE.  The developer knowledge base article is suitable for a small amount of data (such as configuration information).  The sample within the BlackBerry JDE can be used for larger data sets.

How To - Backup and restore small amounts of data using SyncItem
Article Number: DB-00092

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker