Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Visitor
julianmummery
My Carrier: O2

* Barcode Reader Like in BlackBerry Messenger *

[ Edited ]
Hi,

I am trying to develop a QR Code reader for the BlackBerry Curve 8900 v4.6.1.101

I have tried ZXing libraries (1.4 & 1.6) but they do not seem to compile for this version of the OS I need it for :smileysad:

I know that v6 has it built into the OS but I really need to push this out to older OS's

What I would really like to do is use the same functionailty as in BlackBerry Messenger 5+. For those of you that do not know, you click on the menu option of "Scan a Group Barcode" and it then takes you to the video camera via a help screen. The camera then shows you in a kind of live view (on my model it changes the focus automatically). Once it can read a valid barcode it pops up a dialog with the information and asks if you would like to navigate there.

I love this functionality and was wondering if anyone knows how I could accomplish this? Example code would be a great help in this area.
I have read on a previous thread that the BlackBerry Messenger APIs are not available to the developer community, is this true?

Thanks in advance.
Regards
Julian Mummery
Application Developer
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ezequield
My Carrier: any

Re: * Barcode Reader Like in BlackBerry Messenger *

I have the same problem, but I need for OS 4.5, which is still more difficult since there's no way to control camera inside the application, so I depend on the balckberry built-in camera application.

To have the ZXing code compiling and running in os previous to 5.0 you should comment some lines in ZXing source code, becasue os prior to 5.0 does not include some part of the j2me that's needed for ZXing.

Anyway after doing that, I tried running but I got a runtime error: ArithmeticException.

If you any solution or a bettter library to do qr scanning in balckberry os 4.x, please let me know.

I'm looking forward for a solution.

Regards, Ezequiel

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
anawara
My Carrier: Vodafone

I've successfully used ZXING with OS 4.6 and 5.0.

The example provided for BlackBerry with ZXing assumes that users will capture an image of the QR code which will be decoded. I've used an alternative approach that automates capturing the image and actually captures several images for scanning. If you send me a message with your email I'll be glad to share the code with you. Its too much to share it here

Please use plain text.
bog
Contributor
bog
My Carrier: bell

That will be great if you can share it here. I am interested in your approach.

Thanks!
Please use plain text.