Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: 9000

Best practise for connections to a pc?

Hey there,

i need to sync data with a pc via a local connection.

So whats the best practise for that? Sockets, usb, bluetooth?

I have read, that a socket connection goes through the carrier or the enterprise server, so this is not really a local connection. Or have i misunderstood that? I tried it with the simulator, that works perfectly, but on my device i cannot establish a connection (connected with usb). I used deviceside true and false and all possible ip addresses my ipconfig is listing.

I also tried the bluetooth example, but the bluetooth server tries to establish a connection to the device and thats it...(i used the javacomm20-win32.zip and the newest jre). The pc and the device is paired...

For the facts:

I use a 8800 (4.5), vista, jre 1.3 to the newest, desktop manager 4.6

Thats for any information!

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Best practise for connections to a pc?

I haven't actually played with the utilities but I am curious now about the USB modem capability

in both directions. Do the RIM utilities support using your phone as a USB modem ( I think when I did

this with the old Nokia, Cingular had something called Connection Manager that ran on your desktop).

And, in the other direction, can you connection your phone to the internet through your PC and

if so how? It may be helpful, at least for some testing,  to be able to do "OTA" downloads/browsing  over-the-USB as odd as this may sound- eliminating the carrier-as-ISP can be a big help.

Would there be a service book entry for a USB interface similar to WiFi?

Thanks.