Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
smunro2009
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BlackBerry Developer Conference – Call for Topics

Getting more info on the amount of effort RIM will be putting into supporting the JDE plug-in for Eclipse. Since using the old plug-in and the more recent version, It feels as though they have rushed this plug-in and haven't invested enough time into it's development.  Ideally, I'd want to see some indication of RIM putting a bit more effort into the tool and also.

Developer
smunro2009

Hey,

As addendum to what I said previously, I'd also like to hear something on the front of developing a GUI builder for web apps.  It's somewhat annoying having to instantiate classes and register then with the device, then write code that handles all the navigation routes to each screen.

There are various approaches you could take to this, looking at things with Java Server Faces and Spring, you could have a XML config file that expresses navigation rules and apply dependency injection to setup each screen.  On top of that layer, you could have a GUI layer for mapping out screens.  I'm working on my own version, but I'm not in the business to be rolling out my own frameworks, I'd like to see it available in the JDE plugin.  There are enough open source projects like JGraph to take advantage of for pulling this off, it shouldn't take that long to do.

In addition to the GUI builder, having a new set of layout managers would be good.  I use absolute positioning at the moment, but with the use of a GUI builder, I'd just need to drag components onto the screen and that would be the end of it.  I've always been a fan of doing things via the code and not relying to much on tools as it narrows your focus, but this is 2010 now and clients just aren't willing to wait and want today's work yesterday, so some time spent on the above, would be time well spent in my own opinion.

Developer
smunro2009

I should correct the first line of my last post and replace the word 'web' with mobile :smileyhappy:.

So it should read:

As addendum to what I said previously, I'd also like to hear something on the front of developing a GUI builder for mobile apps.

Developer
mohitsharma
My Device: Blackberry Torch

some random thoughts:

• paint optimization in case of your own custom field/manager.
  • workaround for popular deprecated APIs under new blackberry OS and workaround for some new cool APIs under older OS.
  • coming touch innovations.
  • UI event delegation model likw how events like navigationClick or TouchEvents passed down from manager to fields or viceversa.Along with UI thread model.
  • Handling network communication efficiently with UI thread working in parallel.
  • notifications and changing icons dynamically on receiving notifications by app.
  • appworld and super app requirements?
  • Configuration of app through email, no need of manual config inside app just user click on a link in email and it gets configured.

will post more :smileyhappy: .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark posts as solved if you found a solution. Press the kudos button to thank the user who helped you.
Developer
smunro2009

Something I picked up recently on the forum that should be brought up.  A proper hook method to use for dealing with the termination of the application.  OnApplicationClosure() or whatever; something sensible.

I haven't looked at the JDE versions beyond JDE 4.3 at the moment, but the Camera API isn't quite up to par.  I'd like to control the quality of compression and also the dimensions of the image.  In the coded examples I seen on the forums, trying to do the most basic thing was extremely long winded.  What I'd like to see if

CameraConfig.getInstance().setQuality(CameraConstants.HIGH);

CameraConfig.getInstance().setDimensions(new XYDimension(width, height))

Keep it simple, there is no need to over-engineer the api, which is the impression I get from the examples I read up on in the forums.  In out own implementation, we have this awful JPEG encoder that is a performance bottleneck and the thing just crashes with an OutOfMemoryException.  I also need to map the quality between the range of qualities supported on the blackberry device.  When we do finally upgrade, I would like to see a tidier API.

XYDimension - I noticed this class doesn't have accessors like getX or getY, you need to access the fields directly.  From my own point of view, this is a no no, which goes back to the point I made about rushing development.  It's easy enough to write your own or rip java.awt.geom.Dimension, but you've given an implementation and it's not a very good one.  So tight code reviews and a sharp eye on keeping things simple.

Developer
kalafut

I now have enough customers via AppWorld etc. to understand the challenge of supporting an App remotely, through email, and often with a very novice customer on the other end.  On the one hand you have the constant stream of BlackBerry replacements, lost keys, upgraded OS's etc.  And then there are the "It just says java.lang.error" type problems, which are extremely frustrating for both parties.

What are the methods that successful App developers employ in order to support their products effectively when the customer base grows to hundreds and thousands of people?

Jim

Developer
DAquilina
My Device: BOLD 9700 OS5.0.0.x on Rogers Canada
My Carrier: Rogers

Hey smunro,

I should point out that this Thread isn't meant for suggestions for the API. It's merely a call for suggestions as to topics which will be discussed at the BlackBerry developer conference. While your suggestions are valid, perhaps there is a more suitable location to voice them.

That said, here's a link to the 5.0 API:

http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/5.0.0api/index.html

Hope that helps,

~Dom

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
chown -R us ./base
~J!NX
Developer
HourglassThorne

As a theme developer, the thing I would love to see most are in-depth sessions regarding hand-coding SVGs for themes. 

There's some documentation both on the Developer site and online regarding SVGs, but so much of it is very dry reading, particularly for those theme developers who have little to no formal training in any sort of coding. 

It would be great to get both a basic and advanced SVG boot camp sessions at the next conference.

Driving mobile personalization @ Access Lane.
Find over 300 Access Lane themes @ AppWorld.
Follow the artist @ Deviantart.com.
Contributor
cyork2
My Device: 8800

I want to add my vote for:

Advanced debugging and profiling

Remote customer support techniques

Bridging the gap between 4.x and 5.0 - deprecated items and implementing 5.0 concepts on older devices where possible

Thanks,

Craig York

Developer
DFallak
My Device: Rogers Curve 8900

[ Edited ]

I'd be interested in seeing a session about Application Permissions, and how different configurations on the BES affects settings on the device.

I have specific questions that I'd like to ask about this, and I'm sure many others do as well... maybe a Q&A period about BES in general would be good?