Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

BlackBerry JDE Plugin for Mac OS X installer will not run

I just downloaded the BlackBerry JDE Plugin for Mac OS X to my MacBook Pro (OS X Lion, i5, 8 GB RAM, plenty of storage). My laptop far exceeds the requirements listed on the BlackBerry Developer site.

When I attempt to run the installer, I get a dialog with the following message:

You can't open the application BlackBerry Java Plug-in Setup.app because PowerPC applications are no longer supported.

Is this an old version of the Mac Plugin? The page from which I downloaded clearly stated that it supported the i5 architecture.

The filename of the download is: BlackBerry_JDE_PluginFull_1.3.0.201102031007-19.zip.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold

Re: BlackBerry JDE Plugin for Mac OS X installer will not run

Same problem here, installer is not compatible with Mac OS X Lion.

I tried to unpack the installer on a Windows computer ( I could not unpack it within my Mac ), until I got to the file Contents/Resources/Java/Disk1/InstData/Resource1.zip.

Then, when this zip is unpacked, go to R_\EclipsePlugin\installer\InstallAnywhere\InstallerData\EJDE Plugins_ff9d5090a84c_zg_ia_sf.jar and unpack this too ( 7zip will do this for you ).

Now you have a complete directory with the whole package.

You should be able to install a normal Eclipse framework from http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/ ( I took the Classic version, since this is also advised for Android development ).

Then, using the the package we just unpacked in a somewhat cumbersome way, it *should* be possible to *install* ( i.e., copy over ) the plugin onto the freshly installed Eclipse installation.

This is how Eclipse PLUGINS should always be distributed. Although RIM calls this an Eclipse Plugin, in fact it is a complete Eclipse installion. Not very plugin-like.

Anyway, I don't have it completely running as yet, but this should work with of course some tinkering around.

New Developer

I'll start checking this out to see if I can get it to go.

I totally agree with you on the plugin stuff...just deliver it like all other plugins. At least provide the option to download the plugin alone. Many of us develop on multiple platforms (BB, Android, Google Apps, PHP, HTML5, etc), so we tend to install the plugins we need when we need them.

Are you listening, BlackBerry?

New Developer

mrasci...did you copy the two net.rim folders in the features directory?
New Developer

I tried to backdoor the installation by copying plugins and features. Eclipse did not fully recognize them after a hard restart. I noticed that eclipse added configuration info for the plugins, but the features did not seem to show up in the IDE after starting it.

In fact, I started getting NoClassDefFound exceptions on my Android builds.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.resources 4 2 2011-08-05 10:51:37.841
!MESSAGE Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: "org.eclipse.core.resources".
!STACK 0
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: net/rim/ejde/external/sourceMapper/SourceMapperAccess
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.builder.SourceFile.getContents(SourceFile.java:79)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ReadManager.getContents(ReadManager.java:144)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.parser.Parser.parse(Parser.java:9590)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.parser.Parser.parse(Parser.java:9562)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.parser.Parser.dietParse(Parser.java:8155)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.Compiler.internalBeginToCompile(Compiler.java:712)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.Compiler.beginToCompile(Compiler.java:377)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:422)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.builder.AbstractImageBuilder.compile(AbstractImageBuilder.java:364)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.builder.BatchImageBuilder.compile(BatchImageBuilder.java:178)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.builder.AbstractImageBuilder.compile(AbstractImageBuilder.java:301)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.builder.BatchImageBuilder.build(BatchImageBuilder.java:60)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.builder.JavaBuilder.buildAll(JavaBuilder.java:254)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.builder.JavaBuilder.build(JavaBuilder.java:178)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$2.run(BuildManager.java:629)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:172)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:203)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$1.run(BuildManager.java:255)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:258)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuildLoop(BuildManager.java:311)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.build(BuildManager.java:343)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.AutoBuildJob.doBuild(AutoBuildJob.java:144)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.AutoBuildJob.run(AutoBuildJob.java:242)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

New Developer

OK, after a few other options, I finally tried just copying the unpacked EJDE Plugins_ff9d5090a84c_zg_ia_sf.jar into a subfolder of my Applications directory, renamed to 'eclipseBB'. I started Eclipse from there and it ran, recognizing the BlackBerry plugins.

Assuming there are no additional drivers needed for development, I am up and running. I'm sure I'll need something when I try to install/debug to a device.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold

Great, this seems to work :smileyhappy:

Only thing left is getting some emulators up and running.. Though they seem to be windows only, making development a real pain since a real device takes ages to reboot after every error, fault, whatever..

Anyway, great that it's up and running now :smileyhappy:
New Developer

I still have an issue to resolve...can't seem to find where I can download a BB JRE...can't create a project without it.

Back to the drawing board.

With respect to simulators...they are Windows only. On Mac, you can only develop against a device.

New Developer

OK, the BB Execution Environment is delivered in JAR format as net.rim.ejde.componentpack6.0.0_6.0.0.30.jar. I had to unpack that jar in order to configure the BB Execution Environment in Eclipse. Now I am able to create a BB Project.

Of course, Eclipse is now looking for a DLL to connect to handsets...argh. This stream of Windows dependencies really sucks.

Retired
My Device: Torch

Hi folks,

Noticed this thread today.  Looking into your concern.  Will post further commentary shortly.

Thx