Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
Inteist
My Device: BlackBerry 8900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: BlackBerry Super Apps Webinar Follow up

Q: Is there a way to "link" to app download on App World?

Please use plain text.
Developer
DAquilina
My Device: BOLD 9700 OS5.0.0.x on Rogers Canada
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

For various reasons I haven't yet had a chance to view the original webinar, but I greatly appreciate a link to the archive. When the situation permits, I fully intend to grab some popcorn.

With that said, there are a few common questions I think it would be prudent to look at in a similar manner. The following few suggestions are merely issues/quandaries I encountered during my development. I apologize if any of these issues were discussed in the previous webinar.

Effective use of GPS - There are many concerns regarding the GPS functionality on the various devices. In what situations would different methods be more efficient? How do we decide how often to update our LocationListener for an optimal balance between functionality and battery life to suit our purposes?

Garbage Collection and Program Flow - Seeing as the devices are running with limited processing power, what methods can be used to limit the time our application takes to process commands? How would we go about customizing the garbage collection process to fit our application's specific needs? What steps can be taken to reduce load times? Similarly, what constructs are the most efficient? (ie. switch/case vs. if/else if for comparing integer results)

Efficient Storage - There are various collections that have similar functionality and access. Various raw types also have similar functionality. For example, is a Vector more efficient than an ArrayList? How can we tell? How do we ensure that the type of storage we choose will fit our needs and take as little time to process as possible? How do we utilize signed/unsigned functionality in Java?

Thanks,

~Dom

P.S. - On a COMPLETELY unrelated note, I finally found the quote button... I've been looking for that for 3 months... XD

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
chown -R us ./base
~J!NX
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Inteist
My Device: BlackBerry 8900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Please use plain text.
Administrator (Retired)
mkirkup
My Device: Not Specified

Covered here in this thread on the App World development board.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-App-World-Development/How-To-Invoke-BlackBerry-App...

Mike

Mike Kirkup
Director, Developer Relations
Please use plain text.
Developer
DAquilina
My Device: BOLD 9700 OS5.0.0.x on Rogers Canada
My Carrier: Rogers

Thanks, inteist, but I have the link from Mike's post earlier in this Thread. I was merely pointing out that I haven't had the opportunity to view the webinar as of yet.

Still, thanks for caring ^_^

~Dom

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
chown -R us ./base
~J!NX
Please use plain text.
Developer
shashankkushwah

Is RIM Considering to allow the use of Google Maps exactly as its done by iPhone and Android i.e. any API or something to use google maps inside application?

as the Blackberry Maps doesn't support the every corner of the world, we are forced to use Google Map.

Please use plain text.
Developer
klerisson

Following the previous post: it is pretty much frustrating to hear from clients that those applications using Google Maps perform better on Android and Phone than Blackberry, once we are forced to use static maps, and we can not do nothing to change.

Anyway, is there any chance to see BB Maps covering more countries? When?

Thank you!

--
Feel free to press the kudos button on the left side to thank the user that helped you.
Please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
Please use plain text.