Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

My Device: Blackberry emulator for eclipse
My Carrier: Emulator

Blackberry Emulator sending e-mail

Hello!

I am a graduate student in computer science and am trying to help a group of undergrads who I TA.

They wrote an app for the blackberry for garbage collection.  A user registers and picks a time they would like to be notified (ie 2 hours before garbage collection, 2 days, etc) and the system e-mails them at the appropriate time to remind them to put out their garbage.

I cannot get the e-mail piece working.  We have the code from the tutorials on creating a Message object and sending that, then in the emulator Email section is shows as pending, and eventually shows as failed. 

I am wondering how to configure the emulator with an smtp server? Can I hook it up to an e-mail I have and somewhere put in my password so it sends e-mails from my e-mail?  I'm not sure how to set up the server with the eclipse plug in emulator.  I'm assuming somewhere I have to say where to send the e-mail from, what the smtp server is, what my password is, etc, but I'm not sure where/how.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Blackberry Emulator sending e-mail

The BlackBerry smartphone simulator cannot send and receive email messages on its own.  It needs to use the Email Server Simulator or MDS-CS Simulator.  Instructions on configuring these are found below.

Send and receive email messages through the BlackBerry Email Server Simulator in standalone mode

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Testing-and-Deployment/Send-and-receive-email-messages-throug...

Configure email simulation support in the BlackBerry MDS Simulator

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Testing-and-Deployment/Configure-email-simulation-support-in-...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker