Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
sblantipodi
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry JAM, who received the device?

Hi,

my company is interested in starting developing on BB10.

I have registered at the blackberry jam and would like to receive a BB10 device to start developing on this platform.

Can you confirm that everyone who attend the JAM will receive the device?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Re: Blackberry JAM, who received the device?

[ Edited ]

The post by Mark Sohm here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Join-us-for-the-BlackBerry-10-Jam-World-Tour... 

says this

• A limited number of BlackBerry® 10 Dev Alpha devices will be available to qualified developers* at each city in the World Tour. During the event registration process, apply to receive a BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha device, available only to developers attending BlackBerry 10 Jam!

Does that answer the question?

BTW I have been following your posts with interest.  Over the last few months you have stated a number of times your intention of stopping developing for RIM and that you thought BBX/BB10 was or was going to be a failure.  For example:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/DevCon-update-BB-Java-is-dead-no-java-suppor...

Have you changed your mind?

Please use plain text.
Developer
paulkayuk
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I think his short excursion with Android may have changed his mind Peter :smileyhappy:

see: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/android-developers/sblantipodi/android-develop...  and similar

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

As London is not open, I attempted to register for Milan, and noted that as I got one in Florida, I will not be allowed another Dev Alphs device.  Rats....

But it sems that the Jam is free, though RIM are restricting entry to people that they know to be developers.  Interesting conditions. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
sblantipodi

peter_strange wrote:

The post by Mark Sohm here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Join-us-for-the-BlackBerry-10-Jam-World-Tour... 

says this

• A limited number of BlackBerry® 10 Dev Alpha devices will be available to qualified developers* at each city in the World Tour. During the event registration process, apply to receive a BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha device, available only to developers attending BlackBerry 10 Jam!

Does that answer the question?

BTW I have been following your posts with interest.  Over the last few months you have stated a number of times your intention of stopping developing for RIM and that you thought BBX/BB10 was or was going to be a failure.  For example:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/DevCon-update-BB-Java-is-dead-no-java-suppor...

Have you changed your mind?

It doesn't really answer, will I have a BB 10 device or not? Am I a qualified developers?

I absolutely changed my mind yes, I'm finding the Android runtime a good start for company who want to fast port their apps to be ready on the market when BB10 will be released and give the time to slowly port all feature natively.

Sincerely I hate RIM because they dropped the blackberry java runtime support on BB10, but my company needs to be ready when BB10 will be available for the masses.

Please use plain text.
Developer
sblantipodi

I always developed on Android since android 1.5,
now I ported my apps to Android RIM Environment, I cutted some features but the app was written using canvas, so it looks good on BB10 emulator also.
Loving the android runtime environment for now.

I have just donated many many free licenses to my old customers that bought the Java version for smartphone and now wants the software on PlayBook.
I like when my customers are happy, since they are happy, I'm happy.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

[ Edited ]

You asked:

"It doesn't really answer, will I have a BB 10 device or not? Am I a qualified developers?"

I chuckled when read this: "Am I a qualified developers".  So you think you are more than one developer!  (yes I am just kidding!).

Anyway, at the end of this Post is the information from the Milan registration page. 

Reviewing this, the answer to your question appears to be that RIM will decide that themselves, just before the event.  I doubt you will get a better answer than that. 

I suspect this is designed to stop people just going to get the free device.....

Apply for a BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha Device

A limited number of BlackBerry® 10 Dev Alpha devices will be available to qualified developers. During the event registration process, apply to receive a BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha device, available only to developers attending BlackBerry 10 Jam!

Qualified developers will be determined by Research In Motion® (RIM®) using applicant information from the registration system. If you have already received a BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha device at a previous BlackBerry developer event or from RIM, you are not eligible for this offer.

Registrants who apply will be notified within 24 hours before the event if they are qualified to receive a device at BlackBerry 10 Jam. Qualified developers must collect their device in person at the World Tour event that they are registered for. Photo identification must be provided at the time of collection. Registrants cannot receive more than one (1) BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha device during the BlackBerry 10 Jam World Tour.

The BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha device comes with one USB charger and one North American wall outlet charger.

Please use plain text.
Developer
sblantipodi

In what occasion you received the device peter?
Is there somewhere where you go and they give you the device? Is there a particular event?
Should I ask it if I'm elected to receive it? How do you received yours?

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Peter (and I) received our devices on the JAM (not onTour) in Orlando, over there every attendee got a device.

I don't know if every attandee at the onTour events will get one, but after registering i would think that you'll get one if you have an application in appworld.
as there are no public guidelines it seems to be up to RIM though, i guess they want to avoid hundreds of ebay-sellers storming the free events just to get a devAlpha.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
pradeep_ch
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Airtel

My company also very interested in developing BB10 and more than that I am eager to develop on the BB10.

And What I means, at any cost I need a BB10 device.

Can anybody guess on which basis the RIM will select the developers to get devices.

Can I get the device in Delhi?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.