Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Blackberry JVM not supporting third party API eg - Sphinx {a voice to text conversion engine}

Hi All,

My problem may sound very stupid but I am really looking for some help here. I am trying develop a speech to text converter for blackberry storm and I intend to use javax.speech api through Sphinx as javax.speech is just a framework and Sphinx provides the implementation of this API. My problem is that when I try to use any class from Sphinx, they do not pass the 'Preverify'  test.

Now there might be theories about Blackberry JVM not supporting third party APIs and all that, but I believe that if Blackberry JVM can support third party API like ksoap and ksoap2, then why not Sphinx or any other API for that matter? 

Could any one here please throw some light on this issue as I am sure that I am missing a very important link somewhere and any help is highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Developer

Re: Blackberry JVM not supporting third party API eg - Sphinx {a voice to text conversion engine}

Blackberry JVM will support the Third party API's which the JVM can interpret it. If the libraries used the Classes/Methods which are not supported by Blackberry JVM then that library can't be added.

Use Search. "Accept Solution" If the problem is resolved.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Blackberry JVM not supporting third party API eg - Sphinx {a voice to text conversion engine}

blackberry runs an extended version of J2ME. it is limited in comparison to desktop java, but also very lightweight.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
My Device: Torch 9810

I think rather spelling it up as an extended version of J2ME, It is a light version of J2SE, with some limited classes compared to Desktop Java (J2SE) .. It also has the complete set of J2ME and Blackberry Specific classes..

A library which uses, other than the classes present part of the internal jar will not work on any case..

Cheers... 

--
Manimaran Selvan
Co-Founder, Tech Lead,
Equity Markets Research Group
Developer

but how do we determine if a particular class is supported by blackberry JVM?
Developer

see http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/4.7.0api/index.html

quote:
he BlackBerry Integrated Development Environment, included with the BlackBerry JDE, lets you create a BlackBerry Java Application using CLDC 1.1 APSI, MIDP 2.0 APIs, and BlackBerry API extensions that provide additional capabilities specific to BlackBerry smartphones.

if it is not in CLDC 1.1 and MIDP 2.0 you are out of luck.
And no, it is not a limited J2SE api.

In general:
Stuff developed for desktop java does not run on the blackberry.
Stuff developed on J2ME should run - unless it uses JSRs that are not implemented on the BB.
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

[ Edited ]

@ simon_hain - I knew that it is not complete J2SE and no way an application that is developed for a desktop will run on BB Devices .. Also agree with stuff developed on J2ME (CLDC 1.1 and MIDP 2.0 except BB Implemented JSRs) should work nevertheless..

But I see a part of J2SE classes implemented in BBDevices, also we can achieve most of the functionalities that a standard java gives where the J2ME APIs lagging far behind - This is what the reason I specified it as a Light Version of standard Java ..

Cheers... 

Edit: Uncited references removed.. 

Message Edited by mantaker on 05-15-2009 03:03 PM
--
Manimaran Selvan
Co-Founder, Tech Lead,
Developer

i just thought that it may be helpful to cite RIM instead of providing an opinion.
RIM has expanded J2ME quite a bit, that's for sure. But it is not even close to a "real" java VM. You have to port stuff to get it working.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

I agree, Yes have to port .. It is altogether different Virtual Machine (Must be built on C++ I suppose) ..

I worked sometime on pure J2ME and I find BB java dev is easy, Since it has some pure java specification that is meant for a pure java developer like me.. 

I was just about to tell my convinence, thanks for the clarification simon.. 

Cheers.. 

--
Manimaran Selvan
Co-Founder, Tech Lead,
Developer

hey people, thanks for all your efforts and time. The information really helped. but my question remains - while developing a bb app, and if I were to use an api outside of RIM, then is there any mechanism to figure out whether the api is supported by bb jvm?