09-17-2011 10:16 PM
Made an Blackberry application with XMPP backed for receiving real-time messages for the users, expected to give a feel like push message to the top business users for some key events happens in desktop ERP system by the endusers.
Ok let me go to my doubt..
Please help me out...
Solved! Go to Solution.
09-18-2011 12:05 PM
1) I've never had a connection timeout that caused a high consumption of CPU
2) Will your connection stay opened permanently? This will cause high consumption since the 3G will have to stay opened.
3)Since OS 6 you can use Option > Application and select you're own app to monitor it's CPU, RAM, ROM actual values and total for last day or hour.
09-18-2011 01:41 PM
On the point #2 : Yes, connection will listen for inputstream for XMPP xml stanzas. I cant get your point on consumption of 3G, you mean data consumption or CPU consumption. Please advise.
09-19-2011 08:02 AM
Oh got it, you mean keep 3g service active/on battery consumption will be increased right? I also check meebo's IM apps for Blackberry they are also exchanging http messages over the 3g/wifi.
Anyhow thanks for your suggestion, let me measure the battery consumption with and without the application running.
09-20-2011 12:22 AM
Finally I am able to get some clue of CPU usage of my app through BB Simulator ported on 6.0 OS, clearly its show the CPU usage during the application activities.
In OS 6.0 you can findout this option under Options -> Device -> Application Management.
1. During idling socket connection 0% CPU consumption.
2. When a message arrives through XMPP socket consumption goes upto less than 1 to 1% CPU.
3. While reconnection after socket timeout consumption takes standard of 7% CPU.
On the average very less consumption, hope my apps wont drain my customers batter .
Hope this detail will help others in the app performance point of view.