Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
ashish12169
My Device: 8520

Blackberry can we calculate internet download speed,latency rate,packet loss percentage...

Hi,

can we calculate internet download speed,latency rate,packet loss percentage...

New Developer
shivam284
My Device: torch,bold,curve,strom

Re: Blackberry can we calculate internet download speed,latency rate,packet loss percentage...

Due to the complexity of the whole BlackBerry service network, and how it operates through RIM's servers, make it difficult to calculate the transfer speed. Unlike all other phones, all data from a blackberry phone goes directly to RIM's servers and then to where it was originally meant to go. So to reduce the amount of data, RIM skims the excess data, which is used by speedtests to calculate speed. This results in low transfer rates calculations.

The 3G speed depends on the network.
The speeds you show are far lower than what they should be. There aren't many speedtests available for BlackBerry phones. I remember using 1 website specifically designed to calculate speeds for blackberry phones and it capped download speeds to 500 for everyone on 3G, but on wifi it showed at almost 80% par to what the actual broadband speed was.

I will try searching for that link. :smileyhappy:

RIM: Research In Motion, the company which makes BlackBerry.

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,
Kumar Shivam
Developer
ashish12169

Re: Blackberry can we calculate internet download speed,latency rate,packet loss percentage...

thanx,

can i do this programatically...........

is there any api for it or indirect way to calculate all of this....

New Developer
shivam284
My Device: torch,bold,curve,strom

Hi ashish,

I dont think this is possible through the code!

If you will get some thing plz ost!

If my answer helped you plz like!

Thanks & Regards,
Kumar Shivam
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Can I just correct this statement in the answer from shivam284:

"all data from a blackberry phone goes directly to RIM's servers "

This is not true.  The actual path used depends on the connection type. And for BES and BIS-B connections (the only ones that may use the RIM network), the actual connection can be routed via WiFi rather than over a carrier network.  To understand how traffic is routed, please refer to this video:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Networking-Transports-II/ta-p/446742

To understand how you can direct your connection over one or other of these paths, please see:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Different-ways-to-make-an-HTTP-or-socket-con...

So for BIS-B and BES connection, the traffic may go through the RIM network, but may also be routed over WiFi.  The other connection types do not go through the RIM Servers. 

But let us get back to your question

Given that there are variety of connection methods and other factors, there is not one download speed associated with a BlackBerry.  The speed will depend on a number of factors.  This is a bit like the different speeds you will get on your laptop:

a) if you are using WiFi or you are plugged in - on the BlackBerry, you may or may not have WiFi

b) depending on the router you are connected too - on the BlackBerry  this would be like changing your connection method

c) The WiFi adapter you are using on your laptop - on the BlackBerry, different devices have different modems and WiFi adapters and so the speed will vary by device

d) The firmware in the router you are connected too - on the BlackBerry, the speed you see may depend on the OS level you you have installed

e) the signal strength you are getting from WiFi - on a BlackBerry the speed might depend on the proximity to the tower and whether the tower supports 3G or EDGE or whatever. 

As you can see there are a wide variety of things that can impact on the performance you see. 

There is nothing to stop you creating a test program that will calculate this, just by downloading a large file.  But the results will only apply to the specific circumstances in which you run the test, you can not use them in other circumstances. 

Regarding your other points:

"latency rate,packet loss percentage"

There is no interface to the packet level on a BlackBerry.  So you can't see these figures in your program, sorry.

And finally a clarification and explanation of this:

"to reduce the amount of data, RIM skims the excess data"

RIM uses software, that is generically called a transcoder (in RIM terms, the MDS), when connecting via BIS-B or BES, to compress the data that is sent to your phone.  In addition, on a BES connection, MDS will encrypt the data.  So the data you get on your phone may have been "massaged" on its way to your phone.  This means, when using an MDS or BIS-B connection, that the speed you see can depend on the data being sent, some data may compress better for example.

As I understand it, the same process (except for the encryption), can take place on most wireless networks too.  So if you connect via direct TCP or WAP, then the data you actually get on the phone might not be the actual data that is sent, because the network provider uses a transcoder to reduce the data sent to the phone ()in order to optimize the use of their network). 

AFAIK, the only connection where this will not happen is WiFi. 

I hope this is useful and makes sense. 

Developer
ashish12169

thanx,

Radio Info class give us number of packet receive...can we estimate its packet size?

an app name MiniMoni give the data used in KB ,can you help me how he do this ..

Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Search the forum for other Threads that talk about the method on the RadioInfo class. 

It is in fact the number of bytes, not packets, and it doesn't care how the bytes got to the device, so includes WiFi, wireless together.  So as a general indication of the volume of data arriving at the device over a period, it is useful.  As part of a specific test, I am not so sure, but it might suit your purposes.