Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
whatever_
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Blackberry code signing - Lost Password

Has anyone been able to recover a lost password for the code signer? The pdf file provides links to a support email where no one has a clue about how to do this?

Any chance, any of you found any help on the bb site or from customer service? It has been a month since I have been chasing these people down for a simple password reset issue.  

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Blackberry code signing - Lost Password

The password only protects your locally stored private key (sigtool.csk) that is used to authenticate you to RIM and to authorize RIM's websigners to sign the hashes of modules your Signature Tool is presenting them with. If you can't remember your password, you can consider your private key lost. It's not a password-reset issue, it's a key change issue.

If you have a backup copy of sigtool.csk protected with another password that you still know, you can have obtained your locally stored private key.

Contributor
jpspringall
My Device: None

Hi, sorry re open open an old thread, just wonderinng if you got any success from the devsupport email address? I emailed them on monday, got an incident number but not heard anything since.

Going down the other route of the csk file. I do have this file, but i'm trying to workout how i can decrypt it to get my password back.

Cheers

James

Regular Contributor
clausdp79
My Device: bold 2

Hi..I have the same problem...I lost my private key...how did you fix that? 

thanks

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

This is an old thread... but since it's one of the top results in a Google search, I wanted to provide an answer here.

It is not possible to recover your password for BlackBerry Code Signing Keys.  However, you can choose a new one if you reinstall your keys.  The first thing you'll need to do is order a new set of keys (free of charge) using the following form.

https://www.blackberry.com/SignedKeys/

Before installing your keys, search for and delete the files below that will be present within the installation directories of the various BlackBerry development tools (location will vary by tool).

sigtool.db

sigtool.csk

sigtool.set

You will now be able to install your new CSI files and choose a new password.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
i68040
My Device: Q10

If I Install a new set of keys, will I be able to update my existing applications? I ask because I recently had an issue where I uploaded an unsigned .bar file, then when I tried to upload a signed version it complained about the PackageID.

Will I need to create new App definitions to use the new keys?

Thanks.

Developer
i68040
My Device: Q10

Last week I wrote a Password Recovery utility which helped me find my lost password. I released it Open Source (MIT License) today. Hopefully it can be useful to somebody.

Here's a Link where you can go to get more information (boredwookie.net). A Download link to the utility can be found at the Bottom of the page.

Note: This will only work if you remember something about your password. It will take some time to run, too.

In my case I was able to discovery my password after letting it run for 3 days running a few instances on a few machines. My problem was that I fat-fingered the keystore password when I set it up. There was an extra 'b' in my password that I didn't know about until the utility found the real password.

New Developer
dimm0k
My Device: Bold 9930, PlayBook

Thanks