Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Regular Contributor
Utumno
My Device: Torch

Blackberry device matrix & info for a beginner

Hello All Blackberry devs,

I am a developer who has published several games to Nokia's Ovi and the Android Market. Now I am thinking to port some of them to Blackberry. I don't have much experience with berries though, just playing around with a borrowed Torch for a few days ( it's nice :smileywink:

The first thing I would need to do is research the devices in the field. Specifically:

- each model's CPU, RAM

- what sensors does it have ( esp. the accelerometer )

- does it have a touchscreen

- screen resolution

some info about market penetration, i.e. how many of each device has been sold woudn't hurt either :smileyhappy:

Only knowing this, am I able to figure out which application stands a chance to be ported.

Thus a question: could anyone point me at some webpage/document where those kinds of things are explained?

L.

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1154, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

Re: Blackberry device matrix & info for a beginner

Hello and welcome,

Though there are differences (especially in terms of GUI since there is no GUI builder) it is relatively close to Android if you are going to port apps.

On to your points:

Recently RIM updated http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Choosing-a-Target-Device-OS-now-updated/td-p... and it would be a good place to look.

Screen sizes: Unfortunately I couldn't find it in a quick search but there is an article/post that talks about the different screen sizes.

Touchscreens: Only 5 devices have touch screens: Storm (9500, 9530), Storm2 (9520, 9550), Torch (9800). The Storm's have a SurePress screen where the screen is a giant button (giving you a little more control over touch events), the Torch is a standard touch screen that everyone knows about.

Sensors: Check out the various models that are available, I know the Torch and Storms have accelerometers, not sure about other devices.

Finally, with basic specs about CPU/RAM: That is another take a look at some of the models available.

BlackBerry's don't deviate to far from each other so screen sizes, CPU, RAM, etc. is similar amongst different models so you shouldn't have to develop anything fancy in order to deal with them.

Sorry for saying to look up the specs yourself.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Utumno

Thanks man!

How about a few details about the App World and joining it?

I already know it costs $200 to join ( pretty hefty if you ask me ) but I still don't know:

- what kind of apps (i.e. in written in which framework) do they accept? J2ME only?

- is any certification required?

- devs get 70% like everywhere else, right?

- do you have to have a company or can an independent dev join?

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1154, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

JOIN NOW! IT'S FREE FOR THE TIME BEING!

Now that we got that out of the way.

J2ME and WebWorks apps (unless developing for Playbook in which case right now it's only Adobe Air, later C/C++.

Certification? If you mean signing then only if you use APIs requiring signing.

Devs get 70%, it used to be 80% but they did the "join and submit apps for free" and changed it to 70%. Not sure if it will change back when they stop the free submissions.

You can be independent but you would need to sign up with your name. They will require a notary to get signed up (as opposed to sending official company information).

Three simple rules:
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Utumno

[ Edited ]

By 'certification' I mean 'does the J2ME binary have to be signed with a third-party certificate' ( read: Verisign )

'only if I use APIs requiring signing' i.e.   anything sensitive like internet access, accessing contacts & the like?

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25

Certification: No

Signing: Some APIs require signing, so that if the app does anything that can compromise the users security or take advantage of the user (like the stuff you mentioned except internet, more at bottom of post). If the user complains or something similar then RIM can trace who signed the app.

If you look at the documentation, there will be certain items that have a "lock" image next to them. These require signing. It's a $20 key that gives you 0x7FFFFFFF signs. There are various posts on this site where people ask about them and they are explained in more detail.

Now with internet, and various other components, in order for a company (like RIM) to say they are J2ME compliment they need to have certain APIs that  handle certain functions. Anything that starts with "java", "javax", "javacard", or "org" are RIM implemented but not under the control of RIM so they can't force you to sign your app if you use them. Some of these APIs allow you to access internet, contacts, etc. without requiring you to sign your app. If you make a Midlet then these are the APIs you will be using and you don't have to sign your app.

Three simple rules:
Please use plain text.