Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
yokese
My Device: 9360

Blackberry stopped giving 'random' GPS positions

Hi, I'm developing a BlackBerry application that send periodically GPS positions to a server.

I have a problem with some locations when the BlackBerry is stopped inside buildings without GPS coverage. The BlackBerry continues giving GPS positions but are something like 'random', not far from correct position but very inaccurate (I guess it happens in residential zones with possibly several Wi-Fi (secured) networks around).

As example, I post an image showing my BlackBerry giving positions all night without moving:

map.png

Playing with GPS parameters, I have set a 20 'metersAccuracy', also I've tested some settings in 'Criteria' of 'LocationProvider' like 'costAlloved' and 'speedAndCourseRequired', but I have the same behavior.

Do you know what could be happening and hove to solve it? I'd like that if BlackBerry doesn't have real GPS coverage it doesn't give me any location.

Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

Re: Blackberry stopped giving 'random' GPS positions

the accuracy value is not to be trusted, if the GPS has few satellites the results are sometimes bogus. you have to filter them out yourself, for example based on the speed the device would need to reach the destination.
if the BB travels over the speed of sound there is often a wrong result included there.

in any case, you can set a locationprovider to use only gps i think, if your problems come from wifi or cell fixes.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Contributor
yokese

[ Edited ]

I thought that I could use a locationprovider setting 'setCostAllowed(false)' to only use BlackBerry GPS, too.But it doesn't seems to do nothing, at least with my problem. Also I've found in BlackBerry settings, under 'GPS configuration' (localization config) an option called 'localization help' (sorry, direct translation from spanish) that, from the description, seems to do the same that 'setCostAllowed' and may do it to work wrong but I have no idea, neither.

Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

did you check the developer guide?
also possibly helpful:
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Introduction-to-GPS-and-BlackBerry/ta-p/4468...
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Advanced-GPS-Techniques/ta-p/446855
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Contributor
yokese

Thanks I'll try to know more from the basis watching this videos. If I found something helpful I'll post back.