Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Block incoming SMS Help

I know there have been alot of dicussions about blocking sms but does anybody want to share or have any idea how to go about blocking sms?

Reading the javadoc doesnt help either.  Some recommends FolderListener others recommending Datagrams etc..

I'm willing to pay for your work.

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Block incoming SMS Help

I don't believe that there is any way to block a generic incoming SMS. You can listen for SMS and process the incoming message, but not keep it from the inbox unless you set certain control flags on the sending side.

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley

i'm 100% sure there is a solution.  If you search appworld there are a number of sms blocking apps out there.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
CMY
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

For most of thos applications (at least from what I gathered), they use the firewall to block SMS messages.

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley

but can you programatically add numbers to the firewall?

text blocking apps that i have tried they do not put numbers in the firewall block list.

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Yes, I can confirm that there are several SMS blocking apps, none of them using firewall.

It's a kind of dirty OS hack, however I wouldn't rely on a hack to develop an app, every OS upgrade may wipe out such apps

Btw who is using texting nowadays? WIth BBM and crossplatform messengers SMS seems to be a history...

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Developer
girishthakr
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone India

Hey if u r talking about certain msgs which u r using for ur Application..... i mean if u don't want ur App msgs to be store in INBOX then Yes u can do it.... by listening those msgs on PORT number.... BUT u also need sum other desktop app which is sending those msgs to ur BB apps on PORT.

and If u r talking about general msgs then u CAN't block them....

BUT thr are possibilties using USSD which is used by Mobile Operators for special msgs .... Like advertiement etc.. which comes as a popup in our Device and NOT stored in INBOX at all... :smileyhappy:

Press Kudos if it help... :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley

QuiteSimple wrote:

Yes, I can confirm that there are several SMS blocking apps, none of them using firewall.

It's a kind of dirty OS hack, however I wouldn't rely on a hack to develop an app, every OS upgrade may wipe out such apps

Btw who is using texting nowadays? WIth BBM and crossplatform messengers SMS seems to be a history...

If RIM takes over the world and there is 0.0000001% chance that everyone will use BBM but in the meantime there is need to block text coming from other devices.

Please use plain text.