Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
Alfury
My Device: Not Specified

Bluetooth connections

[ Edited ]

Hi to everyone!

I work with a j2me bluetooth application which works in every device that supports jsr-82; my problem is, porting the application to blackberry; I make the connection with no authentication and no encrypt mode, it´s a compulsory requirement and I use other crypto stuff to cypher the connections; When I try to connect, the first time it tells to me its impossible to connect, the second attempt I try, it tells me Ive to write a peer pin, and the target device does not own a peer pin so, where is the problem? I use SPP and there is nothing weird at the connection.

The trail of my connection is

BTT_TRAIL = __bluetoothAddress+":1;authenticate=false;encrypt=false;master=false";

Can anyone tell to me what can be happening? Thx in advance, kind regards

UPDATED : Ive read some information about bluetooth serial port profile in the development guide Ive found at the blackberry web site about the jde 4.2.1; Ive read an example written with net.rim.device.api.bluetooth; My application is written in pure j2me, I mean, using midp & cldc (2.0 & 1.0 and upper versions) so I dont user net.rim.device.api.bluetooth; is there a problem then if I use midp & cldc instead the rim own libraries?

Message Edited by Alfury on 08-20-2008 06:48 AM
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook

Re: Bluetooth connections

You can use either the BlackBerry specific Bluetooth APIs or JSR-82. 

Are you able to manually pair the device with the BlackBerry (under Options, Bluetooth)? Note that the BlackBerry requires a device to be paired before making a connection and requires a PIN be used in pairing. 

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Developer
Alfury

Hi again and thx for your fast reply!

So, is not possible to establish a connection without pairing with the target device?? The target device I use is in invisible mode and uses no pin to establish the connection; so, my question is, is it compulsory to pair de devices always before to make the communication? I need not to pair, its a requirement , please help. Thx in advance

Kind regards 

Please use plain text.
MSohm

Yes, this is a security requirement on BlackBerry.  A Bluetooth device must be paired and must use a PIN.
Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
New Developer
Alfury

Hi! ( and thank you so much again )

Ive read about BES policies and Ive found there are the next ones speaking in bluetooth terms :

Bluetooth Policy Group:
Require Password for Discoverable Mode
Require Password for enabling Bluetooth Support
Disable Wireless Bypass
Disable Desktop Connectivity
Disable Address Book Transfer
Allow Outgoing Calls
Disable Discoverable Mode
Disable Serial Port Profile
Disable Handsfree Profile
Disable Headset Profile
Disable Pairing
Disable Bluetooth 

The one Ive marked is Disable pairing so, is there a solution to make it in a proper way using a BES server or something like that? I would be so interested in it....thx in advance

Kind regards 

Please use plain text.
MSohm

Disable Pairing prevents a user from pairing a Bluetooth device with their BlackBerry, meaning they can not add any new Bluetooth devices.  It does not disable the requirement for pairing before making a connection.
Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
MSohm

Please use plain text.
New Developer
PeteBloem
My Device: Torch

Hello, 

From what I can gather per the above posts, I believe my issue in attempting to connect my Blackberry Pearl 8100 is similar to the above. My device has paired successfully with my PC using XP's BT wizard as suggested in KB04132,  however when I try to configure BT to add the Device using the BB DesktopManager software, I get a message  "Verify that the Bluetooth enabled device is configured with the BlackBerry Desktop software" My device is not displayed in this window.  I then found the following script in the KB04132 solution Additional Info 

Additional Info  If your BlackBerry smartphone cannot be found on the Add Bluetooth Device window, your BlackBerry Enterprise Server may not have the proper IT policies enabled. Contact your system administrator to verify that the following IT policies are set to FALSE:

• Disable Desktop Connectivity
  • Disable Wireless Bypass

Note: These IT policies are only available in BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.0 Service Pack 3 and later.

Note: If the BlackBerry smartphone has an IT Policy that has removed the desktop connectivity service (located in Bluetooth Options), the BlackBerry smartphone will be able to pair, but will not be located by the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB04132&sliceId=SAL_Pub... 

I have checked my organisations IT policy with our administrator, where he has informed me that our IT Policiesare set as follows:

Bluettooth Policy Group ->

Disable Bluetooth

Disable Pairing

Disable Handsfree Profile

Disable Serial Port Profile

Disable Discoverable Mode

Allow Outgoing Calls "In the absence of this rule a default value of FALSE will be used.

Am I correct to assume that the above settings on our BES server is the reason why I cannot connect my device via Bluetooth to my PC, or should I be looking at other troubleshooting aspects.

Hope you can help, and thank you in advance for your input.

Pete

Please use plain text.