Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
ratoji
My Device: Not Specified

Bluetooth: service search on Blackberries

Hello,

I'm developing an application on JSR-82, using Bluecove (not on Blackberry) on Windows stack.

When using DiscoveryAgent.searchServices(), I expected to have some services discovered on Blackberry, but I always have no results. I've tried to search for the availability of SPP, OBEX and others, but no luck.

Is this the expected behavior?

I have tested that the same piece of code can find services on phones of another manufacturers.

Pairing the Blackberry with other phones, I'm able to exchange data without problems. I'm able also to do a direct SPP connection through Connector.open("btspp://112233445566:1"), but I had no success on pushing a file this way.

I need the service search to know which mechanism should I use to push files into a Blackberry device.

I'm testing on a Blackberry 8110.

Thanks for any hint on this,

Rodolpho

Developer
jhaehnle

Re: Bluetooth: service search on Blackberries

Hi,

search for 0x1101 as bluetooth serial port profile.

If you cannot connect to device, it maybe depends on services available from device per default. Since

4.5 you cann disable device services in options menu of bluetooth connection. Then a connection should be

possible.

UUID uuid = new UUID(0x1101);
String url = "btspp://localhost:" + uuid + ";name=abc;authenticate=false;master=false";
iNotifier = (StreamConnectionNotifier) Connector.open(url);
iStreamConnection = iNotifier.acceptAndOpen();
iOutputStream = iStreamConnection.openOutputStream();
iInputStream = iStreamConnection.openInputStream();

Regards,

Jochen

PS: BTW: A obex file transfer between a bb and another device vendor didn't ever succeed for me either!!

New Developer
ratoji

Hi Jochen, thanks for replying.

I've done a service search for SPP on the BlackBerry, but the service is not found.

Although, I've searched for DUN and it's found succesfully.

On the phone's Bluetooth menu the Serial Port Profile is not listed as service, just the following: headset, handsfree, desktop connectivity, wireless bypass, dial-up networking, audio source, a/v remote control.

Would it be due an operator's restriction?

Although searching for the service returns no results, it is possible to connect directly, but I'm having no success on doing OBEX over SPP...

I can send data via OutputStream, but no data is returned from InputStream.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

In order for the BlackBerry handheld to advertise SPP support to discovery agents an application must be listening for incoming SPP connections (waiting on incoming connections).  If this is not the case SPP will not be listed as a supported service due to the fact that there are no applications running that support that type of connection.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
eugene123

Mark,

I have code that is the same as what jhaehnle posted (acceptOpen listens for incoming SPP connections) and the service is not advertised. I am using BB 8310. Do you know why this could be?

-Eugene