Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
krzysztof
My Device: Not Specified

Build the application in JDE 4.3.0 and 4.6.0 - how to provide support for different platforms?

I develop application in BlackBerry JDE 4.3.0. I notice that there are new versions of the JDE 4.5.0 and 4.6.0. Some new methods were added from version 4.5.0.

For example:

In 4.3.0 it was possible to get body text from e-mail by getBodyText() method or if an e-mail has content BodyPart or Multipart it was possible to get body text searching instanceof TextBodyPart.

When I upload this application (which was built in 4.3.0) to platform 4.5.0 every thing work correctly, but when I send the same email to handheld - I not able to read body text, because I see instanceof MimeBodyPart which an old version doesn't support and I don't know how to deal with it.

So my questions are:

Is it possible to build an application in the newest version 4.6.0 and make inside a code some version dependent platform cases (use or not new methods - depends on SW version from handheld), that compiled application will work with handheld 4.3.0, 4.5.0 and 4.6.0 correctly?

or

Do I need to develop my application in all JDE versions (4.3.0, 4.5.0, 4.6.0) to make a support to all platforms which was all handhelds on a market?

or

Do you have any other ideas (solutions)?

Best regards

Krzysztof

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Re: Build the application in JDE 4.3.0 and 4.6.0 - how to provide support for different platforms?

Please see the developer article below for information on how to select a version of BlackBerry JDE to use.

What Is - Appropriate version of the BlackBerry JDE
Article Number: DB-00537

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800901/What_Is_-_Appr...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
marchywka

Re: Build the application in JDE 4.3.0 and 4.6.0 - how to provide support for different platforms?

This issue is another driver for automated build environments. I have 3 JDE's installed and can built for multiple

targets. On the server, you need to examine the device's profile or UA header to make a selection for

the requesting device. Obviously, if you only need to target one device you can get away with the manual approach

but this methodology even works for other java phones.

New Developer
testes

I have the same issue only I'm trying to work with JDE ver 4.2.1 and have several other versions installed:

JDK 1.6.0_07

JRE 1.5.0_09

JRE 1.6.0_07

JDK 1.5_016

Plus I use NetBeans 6.1 and JDeveloper 9.0

I'm not sure what to do or how to fix this but I keep getting the error posted in Article

Article Number: DB-00586

of the technical reference.

Any ideas?

Developer
marchywka

I haven't checked to see specifically what these links point to but AFAIK the command line invokations let

you select everything ( rapc doesn't access registry for example) so you can fix these problems manually.

I routinely build for multiple RIM and generic j2me devices. This is another reason however that integrating

something like the c++ preprocessor into you build environment may be helpful but as I pointed

out before the strings embedded in the rapc classes suggest someone has conditional logic if RIM would

document it :smileyhappy: