Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Call Control functions like answer/reject/disconnect/hold

Hi All,

I have been searching for ways to do complete call control through my code.  Incidently i am not able to find functions in JDE APIs which can allow me to dial out, answer, reject, disconnect, hold, unhold, swap two calls, mute, unmute a call.

Can someone tell me if these controls are exposed to developers or not ? I have checked 4.2.1, 4.3 and 4.5 JDEs

regards,

-nitin 

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Call Control functions like answer/reject/disconnect/hold

The Invoke class can be used to make a call.  There are no APIs that allow for answering, hanging up, putting on hold or swaping calls in progress.
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer

[ Edited ]

MSohm wrote:
The Invoke class can be used to make a call.  There are no APIs that allow for answering, hanging up, putting on hold or swaping calls in progress.

That cannot be true. I know of a commercially available application that can effectively reject incoming calls. I have downloaded the trial and tried it myself: iBerry Blacklist & Whitelist. I am coming to the conclusion that there are 3 possibilities:

1. the developer of Blacklist & Whitelist has paid extra money to somebody close to RIM/BlackBerry to get his hands on hidden API;
  2. the developer bumped into some open, but undocumented API;
  3. the developer is exploiting a bug in the Java runtime all the way from BlackBerry version 4.0.2 to 4.3 and above.
In any case, I think that you owe us an explanation.
Message Edited by SwordAngel on 08-19-2008 08:40 PM
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

I'm not familiar with how that application works.  There are no additional APIs available for purchase.

They could be accomplishing this through event injection.  Meaning they are injecting trackball events to select these items from the menu of the built in phone application.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer

Antair BlackBerry Call Screener, like Black & Whitelist, works with Keystroke Injection set to Deny, so they can't be using keystroke or trackwheel injection.

Since both applications explicitly require the "Interprocess Communication" permission set to Allow, might they be sending messages directly to the BlackBerry's internal call manager? This is something that's not publicly documented, but clearly something that a RIM employee (or ex-RIM employee) would know. How about sharing with the rest of us?

Developer

ehartwell, it is not fair to judge so fast and accuse someone of beeing an ex-RIM employee and mis-using his knowledge.

It looks to me if Black&Whitelist also uses the KeyInjection function. I myself have also once played around with rejecting calls and I used the KeyInjection. That worked.

If your question was answered, please accept it as a sollution and / or give Kudos ;-)

javec wrote:

ehartwell, it is not fair to judge so fast and accuse someone of beeing an ex-RIM employee and mis-using his knowledge.

It looks to me if Black&Whitelist also uses the KeyInjection function. I myself have also once played around with rejecting calls and I used the KeyInjection. That worked.

javec, the Black & Whitelist website itself says that it does not use keystroke injection. Here is a verbatim quote from the website (the second point from the bottom of the page):

"No keystroke injection permission. This software is not emulating key presses.  It works on both BIS and BES Blackberry smart phones."

In fact, keystroke injection alone cannot possibly explain for the effectiveness of that application, because keystroke injection normally does not work while the BlackBerry phone is in the cradle.

Developer

[quote]

"No keystroke injection permission. This software is not emulating key presses.  It works on both BIS and BES Blackberry smart phones."

In fact, keystroke injection alone cannot possibly explain for the effectiveness of that application, because keystroke injection normally does not work while the BlackBerry phone is in the cradle.

[/quote] 

sorry, did not read the website.

So how is that then possible? Is there a hidden API?

If your question was answered, please accept it as a sollution and / or give Kudos ;-)

[ Edited ]

Thanks, SwordAngel. Actually, I installed the demo version of Antair BlackBerry Call Screener (a sweet application, by the way) and tested it with Keystroke Injection set to Deny before posting. And I'm not knocking RIM - Mark Sohm has been doing a fantastic job of answering all these questions.

javec wrote: It is not fair to judge so fast and accuse someone of beeing an ex-RIM employee and mis-using his knowledge.

I've spent weeks trying various combinations of keystroke injection and Alert.stopXxx API calls, using various time delays, on the simulators and on different devices - with mixed success. I'm developing a commercial application to run across the BlackBerry product line, and we can't afford to make custom tweaks for every possible device. And RIM says this isn't the way to go (and sincere thanks, Mark, for making it official).

javec wrote: So how is that then possible? Is there a hidden API?

Antair Screener is packaged as a single COD file, while Black&Whitelist has a single COD file for each OS version. Neither one uses device-dependent versions. We know it's possible. We're told there are no undocumented APIs. So how do they do it?

Message Edited by ehartwell on 08-25-2008 10:19 AM
New Developer

Anyone figure this out yet?

Keystroke injection is completely unreliable and is frustrating me to no end!