Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Camera Control using JDE 4.2

Hi all,

I am trying to run the 'CameraDemo' sample application (shipped with Blackberry JDE 4.6.0) on my Blackberry Curve 8310, using Blackberry JDE 4.2.1

Now, while trying to run the following code, I get an exception:

Player player = Manager.createPlayer( "capture://video" );

The exception appears to be obvious because video capturing is not supported in my device, which I confirmed using

System.getProperty("supports.video.capture"); - which returns false.

But, I want to capture only images in my application, and not video. Is there any specific ''URI' for capturing images that needs to be given in Manager.createPlayer(""), instead of 'capture://video' ?

Is it even possible to use the above approach in JDE 4.2 ? I am very well familiar with the another one - using invoke.Invoke(APP_TYPE_CAMERA, new CameraArguments()) and a FileSystemJournalListener. But I would still like to do it the former way.

And also, using the Invoke() approach, how can I change  the default location for saving the images (using the CameraArguments object) ?

Thanks
- Arun

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Camera Control using JDE 4.2

The ability for an application to directly capture images take with the camera was added in version 4.6.0 of BlackBerry device software. 

You can use the Invoke class and FileSystemJournalListener to capture images in previous versions.  The fileexplorerdemo included with the BlackBerry JDE and BlackBerry Java SDK is an example on how to do that.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Hi

I downloaded BB JDE 4.6.0 bcoz i wanted to implement video recording in my applicaiton. But when i invoke the Camera Application with the parameter CameraArguments.ARG_VIDEO_RECORDER, i get the build error "Cannot find Symbol variable: ARG_VIDEO_RECORDER".

Also in the below thread it is mentioned that Video recording is supported by jde version 4.7...

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Invoke-Video-Camera-directly/m-p/216490

Can somone please clarify this for me?

Thanks!

Saket

Highlighted
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

The ability to programmatically capture images was added in version 4.6.0 of BlackBerry device software.  The ability to programmatically record video was added in version 5.0.0 of BlackBerry device software.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker