Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
verbesh
My Device: Not Specified

Can a website read a Blackberry's PIN or MEID?

I am developing a password protected website for my employess to access company info.  I would like to tie each user's login to his/her particular device, whether it be a PC or a Blackberry.  In other words, a particular login will only work when using a particular device.    To do that, when the user tries to log in, the website must be able to read some unique identification off of the device.  In the case of a Blackberry, I thought the identifier could be the PIN or the MEID. 

My question is: Is such a thing possible?  Is the Blackberry capable of passing its own PIN or MEID to a website.  Certainly I will have to have a script running on the website that will go and grab the info, but would the Blackberry allow such a thing?  Where would the script get the ifo from?  It doesnt have to be the PIN or MEID, anything unique to the device would suffice.  I don't think it can be the IP address though, because it's not static.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Developer
RexDoug

Re: Can a website read a Blackberry's PIN or MEID?

Yes, you can retrieve the device PIN and send it to a web site.

Developer
mikephx

[ Edited ]

The answer is actually yes only if connected to a MDS server and the server is configured to pass that information through in the headers. See article http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800878/800733/How_To_...

Message Edited by mikephx on 06-13-2009 04:40 PM
Developer
RexDoug

The question was "can I retrieve the device PIN and send to my server".

The answer is "yes". There is no requirement for BES.

I believe you are thinking of the BES feature which collects the device PIN from the browser user agant, if enabled.

Developer
mikephx

Yes, that is exactly what I was referencing. I interpreted the request as the need to discover the PIN when the device logs into the customer's web server. That would imply using the request header information which is only there if enabled and provided by the MDS server.

You say there is a different way to do that. I really could use the answer to that also.

Thanks 

New Developer
ennova2005

The MDS header insertion approach should be combined with checking for the source IP of the request on the web server end  to ensure that it comes from the MDS - otherwise it would be easy for anyone to insert the header into an http request.