Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: 8320

Can any guru's out there provide some mentoring?

I'm having difficulty wrapping my mind around the methodology of deploying applications to our devices. Would one of you more experienced types be kind enough to inform of the various ways that this can be done. I've dug through the tutorials, posts, manuals, etc. And still am having trouble comprehending. I've read about developers that use the client's Enterprise Server. I've loaded some third party apps on my unlocked 8320... I'm assuming I was directed to their enterprise server via my wap browser... what kind of license does this take? It appears I'm in for a significant investment if  want to publish my own app to my own phone (for proof of concept). And then, if I decide to take my app to the commercial market, what are my options for deployment? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Any recommendations? Thanks. :-)
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Can any guru's out there provide some mentoring?

What are you investing in?

Deploying an app OTA requires only that you have some space on a web server somewhere. Investment: anywhere from $0 to $9 per month.

Now, if you need to perform DRM and process online payments, this will require a little server-side infrastructure, or at least an interface to a payment processor.

You can also publish on Handango, but be prepared to surrender most of your revenues to them.

BlackBerry will open their own app store sometime around March/April 2009, so this might be a good option for you.

New Developer

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your help. I should have been clearer in which programming environment I'm working. I hope I'm mistaken in thinking that I have to purchase the Enterprise Server to publish applications from the Blackberry plugin for Visual Studio 2005. That was the reason for my investment comment. I have a number of web server options, I believe my ignorance is in how to install the *.jar file I was able to create with the VS plugin OTA. I am used to generating *.cab files in C# and installing on Windows CE (and I'm a relative neophyte at that). Is there a reference that puts the loading of apps via the OTA process in relatively simple terms that you are aware of? Is it something simple enough that you could post it, or send it to me (if you'd be so kind)? My partner and I love our Blackberries... we've always used Windows smartphones, I'm just hoping I can wrap my mind around the entire process so I can leverage the strength of the OS. Seems to blow away the CE framework.

I have this great concept, have received my Trademarks at USPTO; now I'm hoping to complete a proof of concept [for the Blackberry] then find someone who has the technical expertise to create a cost effective solution for this vertical market... because there is immediate revenue in it, then expand it to other "markets" under the same brand. Not that any of this makes any difference to my post... I just wanted to get my end goal out there, in case there may be a better path I'm not aware of. Again, thank you for your input and sharing your experience. It is greatly appreciated.

Message Edited by dross on 11-22-2008 03:37 PM
Developer
My Device: ಠ_ಠ

You use a jad file for installing applications ota. Upload the jad file along with the jar/cod files to a server, and then hit the jad url from your device.
New Developer

Thank you! I'll try it.
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

For the record, there is a KB article which summarizes deployment options here:

How To - Load applications onto a BlackBerry smartphone
Article Number: DB-00041

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800708/800647/How_To_...

There is more detail in the Developer Guide, see the chapter called:

Packaging and distributing BlackBerry Java Applications

If your case, I agree with the poster that suggests you try a jad download.

New Developer

Thank you Peter. And mreed and Rex. I've taken some time to read up on deployment, and I'm still not clear on which environments can create *.jad files. I'm looking at the blackberry application web loader info... but I'm missing the connection between the RAD environments and deploying directly to the device. Simulator works great... creating a *.jad file; I'm stumbling on. I'm assuming I can't create a *.jad file with my VS plugin (if I'm mistaken, someone please point me in the right direction and kick me in the pants). I've loaded the MDS app with Eclipse; and it looks clean and easy; just as the VS plugin does. Brilliant, I must say. Why the convolution in loading to the device? Maybe that's not fair. I read the DB-00041; seemed to be written for the Blackberry JDE. Any more input that can bring me out of the woods?

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

MDS applications and applications created with the JDE are two pair of shoes. only the second are deployed using jad/cod
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter