Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
blisterpeanuts
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Can deploy app to simulator but not to device

Sorry for this newbie question but why is it that a simple HelloWorld app compiled in Eclipse runs just fine on the Simulator but can't be installed to an 8320 Curve by the Blackberry Desktop Software?

I'm using the current versions of everything.  The message returned by the desktop software is:

! There was an error importing files.
      No additional applications can be found. Your file might
      contain applications that already exist in the application list,
      are not compatible for your device, or have errors.

However, I am able to deploy the app to the handset using the command line tool:

C:\Eclipse\plugins\net.rim.ejde\vmTools\JavaLoader.exe -usb load \workspace\HelloTest\deliverables\Standard\5.0.0\HelloTest.jad

This installs the app, which then runs correctly on the device.  I can then reload the app list on the Blackberry Desktop Software tool and it shows HelloTest, but under Application Properties->Dependencies it says:

"Unavailable application (net_rim_cldc)"

It seems as though some dependency crept into the app's build and that is confusing the desktop tool.  The Curve is running 4.5 OS.

Should I just discard this desktop tool, or how can I clean up the app so that it installs properly?  Obviously this is just the preliminaries before I build a much more extensive app and I'd like to have these little glitches out of the way ASASP. 

Thanks for any help!

Please use plain text.
Developer
Ted_Hopp

Re: Can deploy app to simulator but not to device

[ Edited ]

If I'm parsing your command line correctly, you are compiling using the OS 5.0 plugin. RIM compiler output is not compatible with earlier OS versions. To run on an OS 4.6 device, you need to compile using an OS 4.6 or earlier plugin. [edit: I meant 4.5, of course, like you posted. :smileyhappy:]

Solved? click "Accept as solution". Helpful? give kudos by clicking on the star.
Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

As Ted says: this is likely a version issue. Your 8320 is probably running 4.5 or older OS.

Try:

Settings / Options / About 

to see the OS level on the 8320.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
blisterpeanuts

[ Edited ]

Yes as stated above, the phone is OS 4.5 and the app does install and run properly, using the command line tool.

My Eclipse/Rim package which I got from the BlackBerry dev site seems to come only with the 5.0.0 JRE, although on the website it says (implies) that you can target different OS versions with this tool.  When I create a project, the only JRE choice is 5.0.0.

Do I need to download a 4.2 JRE plugin?  I can't seem to find such a thing on the blackberry website.  Thanks again,

bp

Please use plain text.
Developer
Ted_Hopp

You should be able to download a 4.5 plugin from the update site. Go to "Help > Install new software" to open the Available Software screen. If you haven't done so yet, add the BlackBerry update site to your Eclipse configuration:

1. Click on "Available Software Sites"
  2. Click the "Add" button
  3. Enter a name such as "BlackBerry Update Site" and set the location to http://www.blackberry.com/go/eclipseUpdate/3.5/java
  4. Click OK and then OK again to get back to the Available Software screen

In the "Work with" drop-down, select the BlackBerry Update Site (or whatever you named it). Expand the BlackBerry Java Plug-in Category and you should be able to select an appropriate plug-in version.

Solved? click "Accept as solution". Helpful? give kudos by clicking on the star.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
blisterpeanuts

Thanks, and that solves the problem!

Please use plain text.