Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
duksunkim
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Can't hit an IP address

Peter,

I'm kind of confusing.

If I'm using HTTP request and BES, I can use http://my_url;deviceside=false;ConnectionTimeout=120000 .

How do I get BES connection or how to set BES?

Thanks,

DK.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

I'm not the best person to go through this, but here goes.

BlackBerry devices are supported in one of two environments.

1) As part of an Enterprise, and all the BlackBerry devices owned by the Enterprise are controlled by the BlackBerry administrators for that Enterprise.  These BlackBerries have corporate email addresses (as well as others).  Typically thing like the software that is allowed on the device, the Web sites they are allowed to use etc. etc. are all controlled by the BlackBerry Administrators.  To do this Administration, the Company will install a BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) - which is located on a Server inside the company firewall.  Devices that are attached in this way can connect through the BES, using a special service that runs on the BES Server, called the MDS.  These are typically called BES Devices (or BES/MDS Devices).  Communication to these devices will mostly occur through the BES. 

2) As an individual device.  To get this device, you normally contact a Carrier and ask to have a BlackBerry.  The Carrier will supply you with the device, and an email address, but you can add other email addresses if you want.  You manage this yourself and have full control over what goes on in the device.  There is usually a Web Service that you use to control this BlackBerry.  These devices are called BIS - BlackBerry Internet Service - devices. 

Now that you understand this distinction, please review the Video here:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/resources/videolibrary.jsp#tab_ddetail_subtab_jde 

However you can't just convert your phone to a BES device.

What your company might be able to do is get a small BES and install it in house.  In fact, at one stage Rim were supplying a single user version for free - you just had to pay for any extra users you added.  Be aware, this is not a trivial installation nor is it trivial to maintain.  Whether you want to do this or not will depend on whether you are trying to develop for BES users or not.

Please use plain text.
Developer
duksunkim

Peter,

Thank you so much for the detail.

So if I want BlackBerry Enterprise Service, should I talk to carrier first?

Thanks,

DK

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

I've no idea for India sorry.  I would look round the BlackBerry web site for India and find out what they suggest.  In the UK, we can buy it direct from RIM and install ourselves, or just pay one of many 3rd party vendors to get and install and configure it for us

Also I think you need to understand your market and whether it is going to be BES or BIS based. 

Note the following:

http://www.blackberry.com/ap/software/professional/index.shtml#tab_tab_compare

Professional is basically a cut down BES. Hosted is just someone else running the BES and sharing it with a number of BlackBerry users.  For your purposes, Bes, Professional and Hosted will use BES/MDS communication.

Please use plain text.
Developer
duksunkim

I'm in the US.

Mark can help this matter.

Thanks,

DK.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Profuse apologies, I've mixed up two threads.  Yep, Mark should be able to help you out.
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

If you are looking to purcahse a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, please see this URL.  http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/server/

If you wish to add BlackBerry Enterprise Server service to your BlackBerry (your phone plan), please contact your carrier.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
duksunkim

Mark,

Thanks for the information. I'll study more about that.

By the way, what are the port numbers being used in http communication except 80?

I'm making http requests in my app, however, if I just open port 80 in firewall for server, the request is getting 500 error but if I open all ports in server side, it works well.

Please let me know about this matter.

Many thanks,

DK.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Do you mean on the BlackBerry itself, or from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server to the outside world?
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
duksunkim

Not Blackberry itself but I mean BlackBerry Enterprise Server  to outside world.

currently I'm using deviceside=true option which means directTCP, in this case what will be the port numbers.

Please use plain text.