Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Cannot send email TO BlackBerry simulator with ESS

Mark,

Unfortunately, I am unaware of any other scanner on my laptop that is running. I've turned off firewalls and virus scanners so I don't know what it could be. I'll have to put it on hold for now. On a separate but related topic, I am trying to run the SMSdemo that comes with the JDE. It runs fine until I click "Send" in the device simulator. Once I put the default phone # (15198887465) in the Destination field and click send, the JDE errors out with a java.lang.NullPointerException. It lists the variable "folder" and it's value as "null" and it's type as  "net.rim.device.apps.api.messaging.Folder". Additionally, the editor lists a file "[read-only] C:\NoSuchFile.java(336,0)" with a whole bunch of "source code is not available" messages in the editor. What am I doing wrong here? Thanks.

New Developer

P.S. Mark, just an FYI, the error seems to occur on the send back FROM the SMSserver. I looked at the SMSserver.bat window and it indicated that it was "Sending message back to device..". So that tells me that it is the device simulator that is having a problem with some uncaught exception. I also did check my classpaths to make sure the source was available. But something tells me this is the proprietary RIM libraries it's in. Not sure.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Do you have another email client you can try to use, such as Outlook Express?

The "souce code not available" screens mean that the exception was triggered in a class that you don't have the source for.  Typically this happens when the BlackBerry JDE attempts to halt execution on a line of code from an internal library.

What version of the BlackBerry JDE are you using for testing the smsdemo?

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer

Mark,

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into using another email client to see if that resolves the issue. In so far as the SMSdemo, I am using the latest and greatest JDE, namely version (beta maybe....can't remember) 4.6.0.12.

That is the current, non beta release of the BlackBerry JDE.  I tried to reproduce this and was not able to.

What are you putting in the Message for the smsdemo?  The message isn't actually sent unless you have something there.

You can also try running clean.bat in the simulator directory to reset the BlackBerry Simulator back to its default state.

Mark Sohm

New Developer

Mark,

I "think" I figured out the problem. I was using one of the OTHER separate BlackBerry simulators (8330) that I downloaded off your site and selected off of the drop down menu on the right side of the JDE. For some reason the default (9000) simulator works, but the 8330 does not. I'll try sending email to that simulator and see if that makes a difference as well.

-Jon 

New Developer

Mark,

Have an update here. This just seems to be getting more frustrating by the minute. It seems from what I can tell, that the default device simulator (9000 Bold), has an SMS icon/application already built in and that is what is functioning properly. If I try to load my own application, it does not show up. In other words, I don't even see the icon of my application(s) on the screen in the simulator. I have run the clean.bat file and have removed all of the COD files as well. I couldn't find anything in the simulator xml.log files that would suggest it had any problems loading the apps. I'm tempted to just re-install this whole JDE and simulator. What am I missing here? Thanks.

Applications in the BlackBerry Bold simulator appear in the Downloads folder.  Do you see your application there?

Please ensure that the BlackBerry Simulator supports the version of BlackBerry JDE you are building you application in.

What Is - Appropriate version of the BlackBerry JDE
Article Number: DB-00537

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800901/What_Is_-_Appr...

Mark Sohm

New Developer

Mark,

I reloaded the JDE and Simulators, all to 4.6. Things seem to be working as expected now (except the email thing, but I'll figure that out hopefully in time). Found the applications in the download folder as you directed. Would like to trouble you once more....is it possible to delete or modify native BlackBerry applications? For example, let's say I wanted to interface with and directly call a native BlackBerry application that comes with the smartphone, from my OWN application that I developed and downloaded onto the device (e.g. I have a text messaging application that I created and want to automatically send it to the email application or something like that?). Or, I want to completely get rid of one of the standard applications on the phone and replace it with my own. From what I have read, it does not seem possible.Thanks.

Replacing existing applications is not supported, but you can integrate with the native BlackBerry applications.  Please have a look at the BlackBerry application integration chapter of the BlackBerry Java Development Environment - Fundamentals Guide found here:  http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/docs/subcategories/?userType=21&category=BlackBerry+Java+Applic...
Mark Sohm