Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
timnelson
My Device: Not Specified

Carrier API restrictions with a RIM signed application.

I am getting ready to release my application on AT+T with RIM signing.  AT+T makes a big to-do about API restrictions and signing requirements for their Java apps on Java phones and seemed to imply it was required for Blackberry applications as well.  I have found this not to be the case, RIM signing gives me access to all the needed APIs without any carrier restrictions.  I'd like to release the application for my customers that run on other carriers (like Verizon/Sprint), but I wonder if they add additional restrictions or is RIM signing enough (like it is for AT+T).  Can someone share their experiences with other carriers?  Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
gtj

Re: Carrier API restrictions with a RIM signed application.

The only restriction I've run across is Verizon's lockdown of the Location APIs.

Please use plain text.
Developer
kzettel
My Device: 9000

Your BlackBerry Developer's signature will work with all carriers.  I have read in the APIs that AT&T also has some custom signature requirements around GPS but we have not run into this restriction.  Everything else is pretty much the same across carriers.  The main things that do vary across carriers are:

1.  How SMS is sent/received programatically

2.  The default application permissions

3.  APN information for making WAP connections 

Kurt Zettel | Chief Architect | Metova
www.metova.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
gtj

Although the API docs do mention that AT&T requires separate signing, they never implemented it.  I've got 2 AT&T test devices and have full access to the location APIs.

Please use plain text.