Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
fortepj
My Carrier: Verizon

Change Background Image on HomeScreen

Hi, I'm extremely new to blackberry development. Can someone post the basic code for changing the background image on the homescreen? I know 

net.rim.blackberry.api.homescreen.HomeScreen.setBackgroundImage("");

is the actual line to set it, but how do I call this? I've tried to set this up as it's own class and method called by a pushScreen(), but it never loads up for me.

Remember, I'm completely new to Java, just reading a few books on my own trying to pick it up.

Thx

Please use plain text.
Developer
JCarty

Re: Change Background Image on HomeScreen

Welcome to the forums!

I'd recommend reading a few of the stickies on this forum and going over a few of the samples. The HelloWorld demo is the most basic way to get an application started and comes packaged with the JDE as well as the Eclipse plug-in.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Useful-links-for-novice-and-experienced-prog...

Try playing with the demo then create a new project and change what you need to get it working.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Please use plain text.
Developer
TobiasReaper

Take JCarty's advice. You need to first learn the basics of Java and then the basics of BlackBerry application before you can jump into coding your own applications.

And as far as your current query goes, there's this Knowledge Base article I found that might quench your thirst.

Use a background image in application screens

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
fortepj
My Carrier: Verizon

So I have to utilize all field managers? Can't I just extend the homescreen class and change the background image?

Please use plain text.
Developer
JCarty

You do not need managers to set the HomeScreen background. However, you do need an application (background or Ui) to set the background.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Please use plain text.