Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
caseynashvegas
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Developer
Accepted Solution

Code Signing and OTA distribution

I am developing an application that uses API's that require code signing. I have recieved my keys, installed and used the code signing tool within the eclipse plugin to sign my application.  I can install the application via the Desktop tools and I recieve a prompt "Do you want to grant xxx trusted application status" when I launch the application.  Everything is fine after that.  Now the issue, I want to distribute the app over the web within my company.  I have other applications set up this way, so distribution works, however when I run the app I get the error "xxx uses a secure API", indicating it hasn't been code signed.  I copy my .cod files,  .jad files, etc to the server from /deliverables/web/ within my eclipse solution.  Is the web output not signed?  Is there are way to force the eclipse plugin to sign the web output or can you do it manually?  Any other reason this would not work?

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Code Signing and OTA distribution

[ Edited ]

Both the standard and web cod files are signed at the same time.  You can open the cod files in SignatureTool to verify their signatures.

How are the JAD/COD files being installed?  If you are using the browser, what services are active on the device (WiFi, BIS, BES and/or WAP)?

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
caseynashvegas

I have primarily been connecting over wifi.  It seems to download and install fine, however it gives the error message "xxx uses a protected API" when i execute the application.

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

in 99% of the cases the used file is not signed properly, for example because you copied the wrong file, signed the wrong file etc.

i would suggest that you make a new build, sign the file and upload it, all with extra care, and see if it works.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
caseynashvegas

That's kinda what I thought too, but I have repeated the process about a dozen times. Thanks for the suggestion, though.    

simon_hain wrote:
in 99% of the cases the used file is not signed properly, for example because you copied the wrong file, signed the wrong file etc.

i would suggest that you make a new build, sign the file and upload it, all with extra care, and see if it works.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Open the COD files in SignatureTool.  Does it show them signed by RBB, RRT and RCR?

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
caseynashvegas

As it turns out our webserver was actually serving up old versions of files that were not properly signed.  We were storing the .cod files in a database and someone wrote the wrong query, basically.

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

welcome to the 99% :smileyhappy:
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.