Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
lulu1978fr
My Device: Not Specified

Code signing - Certicom

Hello,

I need to get a set of keys to sign a java application which uses the net.rim.crypto library. On the keys request form, it says:

Do you have a license from Certicom for additional cryptography classes? Yes - No

This question is confusing, I do need the right to use the crypto lib but I don't have a licence from Certicom.

The confusion comes from the following sentence at the top of the form:

Certicom code signing keys are now included in the set of keys available from RIM. Signing your applications using these keys will provide access to the Certicom Cryptography APIs.

Let me know if I need to answer yes or no to the question.

Thanks

Laurent

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Code signing - Certicom

Unfortunately I don't know but I pose a different but related question.

Since RIM acquired Certicom does that mean that people who bought keys before the acquisition be allowed to access the crypto APIs from Certicom when they required different keys originally?

I noticed (in the current release) in API 5.0 it only has one crypto API group where as API 4.7 had two crypto APIs (one RIM, one Certicom).

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Developer

In the past, you had to contact Certicom, buy the license, then contact RIM to obtain the signing permission. I don't know what the procedure is nowadays. You should probably contact RIM support and ask how to obtain the Certicom license and register your client ID with the RCC signing authority. You could also try following the various links on the Certicom's web pages and RIM's pages about crypto...

Please use plain text.
Developer

I ran a quick test and it looks like the RCC (Certicom) signature is still required to access Certicom Crypto APIs in the v5.0.0 JDE simulator. Even if RIM removed the requirement for RCC signatures in v5.0.0, these signatures would still be required on older builds of handheld software where some APIs are marked as "protected by RCC".

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Hmm, OK will look into that.

lulu1978fr, I would select "no" on the form because you don't have any keys. It is probably still there so if you have the Certicom keys already RIM doesn't need to make a new set of keys.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Developer

No, I think (not 100% sure) the checkbox on the form has a different purpose. Namely, if you check the checkbox, it means RIM should check whether you have a license from Certicom, in which case they'll also send you a .csi file for registering with the RCC signer.

Please use plain text.