Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
xh7000
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: mtn
Accepted Solution

Code signing keys

Hi

I applied for the code signing keys - Blackberry Java.

The keys arrived and I installed them successfully

Received the email back "A registration request completed successfully for client '919*******'.  The client has 2147483647 code signing request(s) left."

I am using JDE 5.0 - installed in Program files/Research in motion/Blackberry JDE 5.0.0/bin.

I see that there are three files in this folder - SignatureTool.jar, sigtool.set, sigtool.bat

I have placed a PATH in "My Computer"

I have tested the path by running Java and Javac from the command line in the root directory
( c:\> Java) - so everything seems to be working that I know of.

(I do note however that the following does not exist - as laid down in a text book I am following -

States - Signature tool can be launched from the start menu - Start > Research in Motion> Blackberry JDE Component package 5.0.0> Bin > Signature Tool.  This does not exist as it appears I may have needed to install a component package that I did not come across.) 

When I try sign a COD file - I follow the following procedure

From the Command line in DOS -

java - jar "C:\Program files\Research in motion\Blackberry JDE 5.0.0\bin\SignatureTool.jar"

I have run this code directly from the route directory, as well as from the bin directory where the SignatureTools files are.

When running the code from either location, I get the same result –

Firstly – a new message box appears titles “Signature tool”

There are about 5 lines of text ending with – Private key could not be found.  Then goes on to say – Expected location C:\Program files\Research in motion\Blackberry JDE 5.0.0\bin\sigtool.csk. 

Would you like to create a new key pair file. ? Yes / No

I press yes and go through the procedure and eventually get the message box where I can locate and open my COD files.  Some are marked in red that that “Status” is “Unregistered” – and in the details box it states – “Please the signer  and register with the signing authority”.  Path C:\Program files\Research in motion\Blackberry JDE 5.0.0\bin\ABCDEF.cod

If I press – REQUEST – I get a message box stating “Unable to request signatures until this application has been registered with all signing authorities required.”

If anyone can tell me where I am going wrong I would appreciate it very much.

(PS I was previously using JDE 6.0 as I have a BB with OS 6.  I had the same problem so I uninstalled everything, downloaded latest files from the web and reinstalled with JDE 5.0 – but still have the same problem as before)

Please use plain text.
Developer
anta40
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telkomsel

Re: Code signing keys

Have you tried to put the signing keys in C:\Program files\Research in motion\Blackberry JDE 5.0.0\bin\, and then re-run the signing process?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
xh7000

Thanks - Tried that with the result.

Seems to be a sigtool.csk missing somewhere ?  Is this significant ? How do I get it ?

Please use plain text.
Developer
anta40

Well I use Eclipse, not JDE. And here's how I do it:

The signing key is consisted of 3 files: sigtool.csk, sigtool.db, sigtool.set.

Remember that RIM mailed 3 *.csi files for you after you applied for the signing key?

Open Eclipse, select the BlackBerry menu -> Sign -> Install New Keys. Do this for every csi files you have, and you'll get the sigtool files.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
xh7000

Aha - light bulb moment.

I remember I did install the three files using Eclipse - but have not used Eclipse for anything else yet.  Still have to read the manual to see how it works.  I have used JDE to write and compile the java files into the COD files etc.

Looking in the Eclipse folders I do find the sigtool.bat and the sigtool.csk files in one of the sub-directories.  Will try use those later and see if they work.  What confused me is that Eclipse does not appear to be an installed program - meaning that when I go to Start > Programs it does not show, nor does the components pack show.

That is where I was going wrong - compiling in JDE and having the signing keys in Eclipse.  Hopefully it will now work.

Should I copy the COD file from the JDE/.../bin folder to the Eclipse folder first ?

If so - which Eclipse folder ? - I see there are two relevant folders -

Eclipse\plugins\net.rim.ejde\VMtools - which has the sigtool.csk file, and

Eclipse\plugins\net.rim.ejde.componentpack7.1.0_7.1.0\components\bin that has the sigtool.bat in it ?

Many thanks for the help - I really appreciate it.

Please use plain text.
Developer
anta40

I think it would be better if you re-build the project in Eclipse.

And yes, the signing key should be put in Eclipse\plugins\net.rim.ejde\VMtools

Please use plain text.
Contributor
xh7000

Many thanks

Really great help !

I have managed to resolve my problem now and it works 100 %

Just wrote a quick batch file to direct to the correect folder - and code was signed !

Again - many thanks for all the help - really appreciated.

Brian

Please use plain text.
Contributor
xh7000

Last question hopefully

I did the code signing and got confirmation is was successful etc - as well as the email to confim.

I note the COD file has no change to the date / time.  I assume this is correct, although I though there may be some indication that the file was modified with the code signature.

Please can someone confirm that it is correct that the time/date modified does not change when teh cod file is signed.

Please use plain text.