Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
xh7000
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: mtn

Code signing registration

Hi - Did not realise this would be so difficult.

I am very new to BB app development.  I have tried to follow various pages - in particular on edeveloping a basic Hello World app.

I downloaded and installed JDE 6.0 from JDK as well as J2sdk-1_2_4_15-windows-i586

I created the first beginner app on the JDE 6.0 and this worked 100 %

The second and third programs look like they need Code signing registration

I applied for Code signing keys and received my three files.

I can not install them !

The help support website refers to the path c:\program files\Research in motion\ Blackberry WebWorks SDK 2.3.1.5\bin to run the program

I only have c:\program files\Research in Motion\Blackberry JDE 6.0.0\bin

When I try run the CSI files it asks for the PIN and Password, but then comes back with the statements "unable to find the SigTool.csk file"

Has anyone a bit of patience to explain to me where I am going wrong and what the best way forward is ??

(And don't say - give up now !)

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Code signing registration

you got a bit mixed up. the help site you refer to is the webworks SDK.
webworks is html5, while the JDE is java.

as a first step, i would suggest that you download eclipse+plugin. start at https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/java/
the JDE is a legacy product and i would not develop in it, eclipse has a lot of comfort functionality you would surely miss.

after that, follow this guide:
http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/20779/Obtain_and_install_signing_keys_1264848_...
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Contributor
xh7000

Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply to my dilemma. I started off with the Java sites and the Java JDE, but when I needed a Code signing I kept being directed to the WebWorks code signing site.  I did realize it was in HTML and and would probably be a problem, but tried it anyway as I could not get a direction link to a Java site to get a code signing registration from.

That is where it got ugly and mixed up.

I can't seem to find a decent starting point to work from.  There is a web site that starts nice and basically in Java - but on its second app development it needs a signing registration - and then refers you to the site that gives the HTML code.

I have seen reference to the Eclipse - and was about to try that roure next.

After getting in a terrible mix between the two I asked for help !

I will follow the links in your reply above and see if I can get started again.

Is there a basic (beginners) guide anywhere to getting started ?  I have done HTML 4 in the past for web pages, but Java is new to me and I am starting to get the hang of it slowly, but can't compile anything more than the basic Hello World without the Code signing registration.

Thanks again for the great help - really appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain

if you follow the java link you see the code signing on the right hand side:
https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/java/documentation/ww_java_getting_started/Code_signing_1977871_...

BB is not the best platform to learn java, but there are plenty of samples available that you can learn (and copy) from.

If you use a simulator you don't need any code signing btw, so you can get started right away. The device is only needed for very few things that cannot be tested on the simulator (bluetooth etc) and for a final check, usually the simulator is very accurate.
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Contributor
xh7000

Excellent reply - thanks for your time.

My end objective is to learn how to write simple apps for my Blackberry. 

Java seemed the first alternative, so I am having to learn a bit of Java at the same time.  I have no intention of getting too deep into Java. 

As I know programming in HTML and Visual Basic in a fair depth, would you maybe recommend that I rather follow the HTML path ?  Java appears to be the general route that most people follow - as it seems on the web - but I realise that is just an impression.

As I said - my objective is to learn how to write simple apps, and to install simple apps on my BB to do functions that BB tend to make over complicated, or to write apps that are nice to have.

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain

I can't say too much about html5 due to lack of personal experience, but it is currently advertised as the platform that can be used for both BB OS and the upcoming BB 10.

java is a dead end on BlackBerry as the new BB 10 platform does not have a JVM. You can use html5, air or c++/Qt/Cascades on BB 10.

as you already know html i would suggest that you look at webworks and the new bbUI.js framework published by RIM that provides the new look&feel.

If you use platform tools like phoneGap you can also develop html5 applications that run on BB, Android and iPhone, at least until you need more specific functionality.

I have written a bit about my personal view (on BB 10 and c++) here:
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/BB-Jam-10-the-way-for-java-developers-seems-...
just in case you are interested in the upcoming BB platform.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Contributor
xh7000

Just when I thought it was complicated enough.....

Thanks again for your time - your help has been very much appreciated and given me lots to think about, and will help in deciding which way forward.

Please use plain text.