Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
Berrysoft
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Compile not updating version in .jad

When I manually update the build number on project properties, and then compile, I then have to manually regenerate the .alx, and manually edit the .jad file as the version in the .jad has not been updated by the compiler!

This is crazy, it should be updated by the JDE without intervention.  What are others doing?  Am I going to have to like manually generate this thing myself?

Is NetBeans or Eclipse more like MS VS?  Maybe I need to really look at trying to setup one of those with the JDE being so primative.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
Neil

Re: Compile not updating version in .jad

Hi Berrysoft,

You might want to consider switching over to using NetBeans or Eclipse. Both provide a fairly familiar environment if you are used to MS VS.

Personally, we use a build setup that consists of Eclipse + bb-ant-tools and have found this to be a very productive setup. Alternatively, Jonathan Fisher has put up a good guide on how you can get a productive build environment setup using NetBeans. If you use bb-ant-tools you can then also write some additional Ant targets which will copy a pre-written .alx file over to the output directory on build. If you want to get fancy, you can even take advantage of Ant filtering to automatically fill in details like the app. name, version number etc. so you've got a generic build script that can be quickly moved from project to project without additional configuration.

Or, perhaps you can even try using the Eclipse "plugin". At this point I would personally recommend steering clear of it until some more functionality is put in, but it's worth a shot.

Cheers,
Neil.

BBSmart.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jhfisher
My Device: 8310

[ Edited ]

Deleting the .jad from my project directory has just become second nature when i put out a new build for distribution, it's yet another quirk of bb dev, you don't need to manually edit it, just delete it and the jde creates a new updated clean one.

like neil says i'd recommend using eclipse or netbeans - i use netbeans for coding but use the jde for compiling and debugging as there's no denying it builds much quicker.

Message Edited by jhfisher on 07-15-2008 05:25 AM
Please use plain text.
Developer
Berrysoft

Yes, I had discovered that deleting it is one solution... and I guess I could just write a post-compile script as an interim solution.

Please use plain text.