Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
Krisper
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Compiling for multiple OS

Sorry, I posted about this yesterday but clicked the solved button before realising I am still stuck.Please excuse the stupid questions, I need an idiots guide.

I have Eclipse version 3.5 with the Blackberry plugin 1.1 and JDE 5.0. I built my application using this and am almost finished. I had no idea about the different JDE and OS before I did this. Now I realise I need to compile my App to run on older devices, possibly back to 4.2. I am a complete beginner so I am unsure of what I need to do. I have searched the forums, but am still at a loss. My stupid questions:-

How do I install multiple JDE's into Eclipse?

Once they are installed how do I change what JDE is used to compile my application?

Can I have multiple JDE installed and then compile for all of them? I have read about preprocessing and will look at setting that up for my app.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
jssantosh84
My Device: 9000 bold
My Carrier: asfas

Re: Compiling for multiple OS

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Krisper

[ Edited ]

Thanks, exactly what I needed.

I noticed that on that help page it is showing versions back to 4.2.1 but I only see versions back to 4.5.0 on http://www.blackberry.com/go/eclipseUpdate/3.5/java. Is there another place I can get 4.2.1?

After following the instructions I installed JDE 4.5.0 and then I changed the version for my existing project as per the instructions. Eclipse wanted to restart and is now stuck in a loop, restarts, I get a popup saying "Blackberry preprocessor is being configured. Eclipse will restart to take effect and rebuild the workspace." So I click restart, which is the only option, and it restarts and does the same thing. I can't open Eclipse without this happening. What can I do?

Please use plain text.
Developer
m-romanuik
My Device: Storm 9530
My Carrier: Telus

What about Blackberry JDE?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Krisper

What about Blackberry JDE?

Not sure what you mean.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
ABoul
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: O2

the standalone IDE, not the eclipse plugin.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Krisper

I only installed the plugin as per the instructions that   linked to. I want to continue using Eclipse as I have been using it from the start.

I completely reinstalled everything and I am now back where I was but I am yet to try to change the JDE in Eclispe again.

Please use plain text.
Developer
m-romanuik
My Device: Storm 9530
My Carrier: Telus

ya i know. i just didnt want to start a new thread...

i mite have too. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Krisper

[ Edited ]

OK, my new install of Eclipse with JDE 4.5 and 5.0 is working OK now and I can switch between versions.

Does anyone know how I can install earlier versions than 4.5? The update site http://www.blackberry.com/go/eclipseUpdate/3.5/java only goes back to 4.5.

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

the current eclipse plugin does not support earlier OS versions.

you can install the (legacy) JDE (a standalone development environment) which is still available at blackberry.com

i would strongly suggest that you continue to develop in eclipse and use the 4.2.1 JDE only to compile (as it is a lot less comfortable to develop in it)

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.