Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: Torch

Compression Algos

Is GZIP the only compression alogrithm that can be implemented in blackberry?I am new to data compression in blackberry.I want to compress a file to be sent over to an ftp server.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Compression Algos

Effectively yes.

There is also ZLIB, but ZLIB is actually just an implementation of DEFLATE, which is the same compression that GZIP uses. 

GZIP may not have the best compression in the world, but it is well suited to stream processing and is supported by plug-ins almost everywhere I believe, so I think it is the best choice for you to investigate. 

Contributor
My Device: Torch

I ve considered GZIP earlier.But my server will be sending me .zip files compressed using Winzip and I will have to send files also in the same manner.That is where I m stuck at.Can u help me with that pls?

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Zip files are not supported natively on the device.  There have been a number of Threads about processing zip files, most people seem to end up with ZipME, but that did not work for me.  And I think it is slow.  But search the forum, there are a number of Threads that discuss this already, no point repeating them.