Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
drbrundage
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: Verizon

Concurrent GPS and geoLocation lookups

I am using a 9930 with Version OS 7.

I have been developing an application that needs infrequent GPS fixes and have been testing for months without any issues getting a fix. I recently added a thread to simultaneously get a geoLocation position as a fallback should the GPS not acquire a fix. To do so, I have a GPS thread and a geoLocation thread. Since implementing this, I am able to retrieve a GPS fix and a geoLocation fix at starup. All future GPS lookups time out unless I reset my Location Provider.

Which leads me to the following questions:

1) My initial GPS implementation used a LocationProvider while my geoLocation uses a BlackBerryLocationProvider. Do both have to be BlackBerryLocationProviders as in the sample code in http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/17954/Requesting_concurrent_GPS_Geolocation_up...

2) My GPS implementation uses Autonomous Mode while my geoLocation uses GPSInfo.GPS_MODE_CELLSITE. Any issues with this combination?

3) If I am forced to run them sequentially, I would assume it would be best to call the geoLocation first. What is a reasonable time to set the geoLocation timeout at - meaning I would like it as small as possible while still acquiring a fix most of the time?

4) Is it a reasonable practice to reset the LocationProvider prior to every call for a GPS update?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dennis

Please use plain text.