Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
atleta
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Connection problems with O2/UK

Hi All,

II'm experiencing connection problems when running my application on the O2/UK network. This is specific to the said operator so please don't point me at general articles about connection parameter options (I have a simple library to take care of that).

First I've tried WAP2, which I think I have read was the best option, and it failed with the following: "java.io.IOException: APN is not specified." . Connection params used were: ";ConnectionUID=WAP2+trans" (taken from the service records). This tells me that the settings in the service record are not OK...

Then I tried wap1 with the following settings found on the web (pinstack.com):

Gateway IP: 192.113.200.195
Port: 9201
APN: wap.o2.co.uk
username: o2wap
password: password

with this I get net.rim.device.cldc.io.waphttp.WAPIOException . The settings of course may be wrong (that's the point of not having them in the device, as all the other manufacturers do, BTW...). Is there anyone here who has made ther app work with o2 uk without resorting to BIS? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Laszlo

Please use plain text.
Developer

Re: Connection problems with O2/UK

[ Edited ]

1. If you are trying WAP 2.0 TCP, then instead of the "+" there should most likely be a space in the ConnectionUID. It should read "ConnectionUID=WAP2 trans". You're probably getting a "+" sign because you think that you need to URL-escape the parameters, which is not the case for RIM-specific connection parameters.

2. If you are trying Direct TCP (aka Carrier TCP nowadays), then have a look here: http://www.filesaveas.com/gprs.html  I had an O2 SIM card (contract) and the "Mobile Web" APN settings did work just fine.

Please use plain text.
Developer
atleta

klyubin wrote:

1. If you are trying WAP 2.0 TCP, then instead of the "+" there should most likely be a space in the ConnectionUID. It should read "ConnectionUID=WAP2 trans". You're probably getting a "+" sign because you think that you need to URL-escape the parameters, which is not the case for RIM-specific connection parameters.

You're right, originally I thought I had to URL encode the UID, but then when this one failed I looked around on the forums and found that I must not, so I fixed my lib. I have a tester application that e-mails me the logs and ... well, I thought that I saw that the UID was with the plus sign, but now I see that the client making the tests didn't download the fixed version just ran the same again... OMG, this is killing me for sure :smileyhappy:

2. If you are trying Direct TCP (aka Carrier TCP nowadays), then have a look here: http://www.filesaveas.com/gprs.html  I had an O2 SIM card (contract) and the "Mobile Web" APN settings did work just fine.

Thanks for the pointer, I'm adding this information to my config file.

Please use plain text.
Developer

Well, I'm glad I could help. Keep this thread posted about the results.

Please use plain text.
Developer
atleta

Sure.

Please use plain text.
Developer
atleta

So the solution was indeed to remove the urlencoding and copy the connection UID as is to the connection string (turning it into an invalid URL BTW). I haven't tried the WAP1/TCP gprs settings you've posted, but they also showed by I failed with what I've found on pinstack. O2 seems to have different wap1 settings for prepaid users and post-paid subscribers (screw them....) and pinstack lists the postpaid settings (without mentioning this) while my tester has a pre-paid card. Lots of fun...

So for O2 it's either wap2 or TCP (which is not enabled by default) unless you want to have a connection setup dialog in your application or want your users to fiddle with it.

Please use plain text.
Developer

I believe a better "correct" answer for seamless connectivity is to get a BlackBerry data plan (i.e., BIS or BES).

Please use plain text.
Developer
atleta

klyubin wrote:

I believe a better "correct" answer for seamless connectivity is to get a BlackBerry data plan (i.e., BIS or BES).

Well, well... First of all, from the practical point of view that depends on the customer and their clients. In other words I can't influence it. Second of course your're right, but that's something to hate about BB. Personally I'd never buy a BB for myself if I didn't need it for development purposes. The BB data plan is pure snake oil and its existence is the very reason we're having these problems. As a user when you buy a BB (BIS) data plan you pay for virtually nothing. I mean tehcnically nothing justifies the service, you gain nothing. You get this for free by buying any other model. Actually you get a better service, because with BB plans your requests are sent through some RIM proxies which just makes things slower.

The reason for the BB not having the operator AP settings in them is actually that this way the user is forced to buy a BB plan that is either more expensive than normal plans or comes in addition to normal ones. (For example my operator sells a BB plan for around 7EURs, and a normal 100MB package for 8. Now if ou buy the BB you pay quite high transfer rates, though lower ones as without any plan. However you can buy both and then you're fine. Except that with any other smart phones you'd just need to buy the 8EUR plan. Period.)

What happens here is that ny crippling the devices RIM forces the customers to buy a special service from the operators. Now it's good for the operators because they can sell a service (they create an artificial demand) and it's also good for rim _on the sort term_ because they can sell their speacial boxes (i.e. the infrastructure) to the operators. So it seems like extra revenue. However with the alleged 'ConnectionFactory' in 5.0 they seem to have realized that they can't compete with these kind of crippled devices. Actually it's pretty funny that while everone associates the BBs with always on and e-mail and mobile browsing, they will give you the worst experience unless you pay a monthly fee. And even then, since a non-BES BB data plan will only give you email and browsing (with a browser of questionable quality compared ot what Symbian, iphone or android has) but your apps will still don't work unless _each and every_ app delevloper starts paying for RIM a yearly fee. RIM somehow seems to be stucked with a flawed business model. I wonder how much of their revenue comes from selling handsets and how much is related to this technologically unjustifiable 'service'.

Please use plain text.