Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: Maxis
Accepted Solution

Crypto OS 5 API

I am trying to deploy application from here.
Compilation is alright (using JDE 7.1.0.7), but when I deploy to to BlackBerry Simulator 8520 (OS 5), it comes up with runtime exception and then error starting: module 'net_rim_crypto' not found. Same thing happens when I deploy to my curve 8520 device (signed).

Is it because OS 5 does not have that API? I checked the API documentation, but it is written that Crypto API has been there since 3.xx.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Crypto OS 5 API

If you want to run in OS 5, you need to compile using the OS 5.0 JRE.  You probably don't have this, so you will need to download it.  Instructions are on this page:

http://developer.blackberry.com/java/download/

in the section entitled:

Installing additional BlackBerry SDK versions

New Contributor

I use JDE and not Eclipse, does that mean i need to install JDE 5.0.0?

After I compile, will the app usable for latter OS (6 & 7)?

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Can I recommend that you swap to Eclipse, it is much easier to use.  I was a JDE stalwart for years but I am converted now!

You are correct that the thing to do is download the 5.0 JDE.

You might have some issues with the project files.  My experience is that you could always open a workspace or project in a later level JDE, but if you updated the project and then tried to open the same project or workspace in an earlier JDE, sometimes it complained.  If you find this, then create standard project in OS 5.0 and OS 7.0. and go through the jdw and jdp files (which are just text files) and look for things that are 'different' in OS 5.0. 

Sorry I can't remember specifically what changes, or if indeed this is a problem going back from OS 7.0 to OS 5.0. 

If you have problems and can't figure it out, then please ask. 

New Contributor

I find it fascinating to use eclipse at times, but always ended up with JDE. May try it later time after I complete my project.

Thanks for your suggestion, I hope to finish this project soon!